Emergency evacuation procedures
Response to Alarms
If you hear an alarm:
- Stay calm, close all windows and doors, immediately EVACUATE the building using the nearest designated exit routes.
- Alert others as you exit the building and assist those who have mobility impairments or other disabilities.
- Move to the designated emergency assembly area or any other safe location.
- Note: If you are unsure of what exit route to take or where the emergency assembly area is located, refer to an evacuation map posted on the walls in your area. (See section below)
If you hear the campus emergency intercom system:
- Listen carefully and follow the instructions given over the intercom system.
Know the Maps
- Evacuation maps can be found in every building on campus and are located on various walls of each floor.
- Use these maps to determine the best exit route and where the emergency assembly area is located for your building.
- Evacuation routes and exits (Note: Map will have a “You Are Here” indicator)
- Emergency Assembly Area(s) – Meet here after you have evacuated the building
- Procedures to be followed during a fire or other emergency.
- Map Key – Use this to reference any map symbols you are unfamiliar with
- Compass – This will be positioned relative to map view.