Institutional Biosafety Committee
The committee promotes a safe campus environment by developing specific policies and procedures that reduce risks to the University of Nevada, Reno community associated with biological agents in accordance with guidelines established by the National Institutes of Health, OSHA, and appropriate state and local authorities.
- Biological agents inventory and reporting
- Memorandum of understanding and agreement review and approval
- Current and ongoing biosafety issues
Major regulatory drivers
- NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules
- CDC/USDA Select Agent Regulations
- OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Standard
- Washoe County Health District Biohazardous Waste Regulations
- Number of members: 9
- Number of academic faculty: 3
- Number of administrative faculty: 3
- Number of non-University of Nevada, Reno community members: 3
- Meeting frequency: Every month
Contact EH&S for IBC meeting minutes.
Institutional Biosafety Committee Chair
Associate Professor, Microbiology
University of Nevada, Reno
Ben Owens, CIH, CBSP
Assistant Director, Laboratory Safety
University of Nevada, Reno
Institutional Biosafety Committee meeting schedule
IBC meetings are held every month in a remote format. Researchers submitting a Memorandum of Understanding and Agreement (MOUA – aka. “Biological use protocol”) or MOUA amendment for review must provide the submittal at least 10 business day before the upcoming IBC meeting. Protocols received after this deadline will be evaluated at the next scheduled IBC meeting.
The schedule for the 2020-2021 academic year is as follows:
- Oct. 14, 2020 at 10:30 a.m.
- Nov. 18, 2020 at 10:30 a.m. (moved to third Wednesday due to Veteran’s Day)
- Dec. 9, 2020 at 10:30 a.m.
- Jan. 13, 2021 at 10:30 a.m.
- Feb. 10, 2021 at 10:30 a.m.
- March 10, 2021 at 10:30 a.m.
- April 14, 2021 at 10:30 a.m.
- May 12, 2021 at 10:30 a.m.
- June 9, 2021 at 10:30 a.m.
- July 14, 2021 at 10:30 a.m.
Please note that the date of an IBC meeting may change slightly if the need arises. The schedule of IBC meetings for the upcoming academic year will be posted at the beginning of each fall semester.
Submitting a biological use protocol (MOUA) or an MOUA amendment
Effective September 2019, EH&S will begin using SafetyStratus to submit, track and follow up with the submissions of biological use protocols (also known as Memorandum of Understanding and Agreements “MOUAs”). Previously, new protocols were requested as Microsoft Word or PDF documents, and follow-up/communication with the PI regarding their biological use protocol was conducted manually. In an effort to increase the efficiency of this process, we have chosen the SafetyStratus application as our new management system. Specifically, biological use protocols will be tracked in the “IBC module”.
Beginning September 2019, all new MOUAs and MOUA amendments will be submitted using the new SafetyStratus system. We recommend adding SafetyStratus.com as a trusted domain so that messages aren’t inadvertently filtered as spam.
The most up-to-date information regarding the SafetyStratus implementation can be found on this web page. How-to text and video tutorials are available to PIs learning to navigate the new submission system. See the helpful resources below for video tutorials and instructions.
To submit an initial/renewal MOUA or an MOUA amendment
Upon entering the SafetyStratus application (using the Single Sign On [SSO] authentication for University of Nevada, Reno users or logging in with an e-mail for non-University users), a PI will be able to:
- Submit a new MOUA application
- Submit an amendment to an existing MOUA
- Submit a renewal MOUA for an existing MOUA that is set to expire
To submit an amendment to an existing MOUA
For PIs with existing protocols that were approved prior to September 2019, they do not need to do anything until the current MOUA expires or until an amendment is needed. Individuals who would like to submit an amendment, please contact Kristin Eliasen at email@example.com for assistance.
We expect the implementation of this program to be smooth, but there may be functionality that is not operating as intended. Please notify Kristin Eliasen at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having difficulty using the system, if you believe there is a software bug that we need to fix, or if you have any questions about the submission and review of MOUAs or amendments. We appreciate your help and patience as we move forward with the new software implementation.
Video tutorial for PIs submitting a MOUA or an MOUA amendment
Below are links to third party web/multimedia content. If you experience any issues accessing this content, please contact Kristin Eliasen at email@example.com.
- Pathogen data sheets
- Reviewer’s Safety Stratus video tutorial
- Applicant’s Safety Stratus video tutorial
Instructions for completing a MOUA or an MOUA amendment
The freezer farm maps for Fleischmann Agriculture 229 and Howard Medical Sciences 140 can be downloaded by clicking the appropriate link below.