Waste management program

Waste management at a glance

Program contacts

Matthew DeBurle
Manager, Environmental Affairs
(775) 784-1987

Marty Schwender
Hazardous Waste Specialist
(775) 784-4524


Please take a moment to examine the University's Chemical Waste Procedures, which explain the proper methods for segregation, accumulation, labeling, and removal of all chemical waste generated on the University campus.

Request removal of:

  • Mixed chemical waste (multiple chemicals combined in a common container)
  • Individual chemicals (unwanted, aged, or off-spec chemicals in pure form)
  • Photo waste (fixer and developer)
  • Aerosol spray cans (empty or full)
  • Sharps (must be in sealed, hard sided containers)
  • Used oil (if contaminated with chemicals, use the Mixed Chemical Waste form)
  • Paints and thinners (oil, latex, lacquer, etc.)
  • Paint products (glues, adhesives, sealant, joint compounds, etc.)
  • Fluorescent light tubes (mercury containing)
  • Fluorescent light ballasts
  • Batteries (except alkaline batteries)

Request delivery of:

  • Chemical waste containers (approved for accumulation of chemical waste)
  • Sharps containers (hard plastic with lid)
  • Biohazard bags (with autoclave indicator)
  • Spill kits

If you are not a University entity but are located at the University and have prior permission please call (775) 784-4524 for waste removal instructions. Or you can send an email to Marty Schwender.

State and Federal Environmental Regulations