Occupational Health Surveillance System overview
For Biosafety Level-3 workers and those students and faculty who participate in hands-on work with animals, the University of Nevada, Reno uses an online risk assessment and medical screening tool known as the Occupational Health Surveillance System. This system greatly simplifies the former paper-based medical review process, eliminating the need to copy, and send forms for evaluation. Everyone with a NetID can use the OHSS system.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for assistance.
How to use the Occupational Health Surveillance System (OHSS)
- The PI or Supervisor will log into OHSS and creates a Risk Assessment (click on "Create a New Risk Assessment").
- Enter name of each participant (last name, first name) and click "Add Participant."
- Enter the Workday tag, PG or Grant number in the correct box.
- The participant reviews the Risk Assessment and accepts or rejects if changes are needed.
- After accepting the Risk Assessment, the Participant completes the confidential Health Questionnaire and submits for review by the Physician.
- Make sure to have your vaccination history available as vaccine dates are requested on the questionnaire.
- The Physician reviews the Participant's Risk Assessment and Health Questionnaire and sends the individual a Medical Assessment for review.
- The Participant will log into OHSS and reviews/acknowledges the Medical Assessment.
- If there are questions from the Physician, a response from the participant will be needed to complete the process.
Note: Email notifications are sent from OHSS after each step. If you do not receive an email, check your spam/junk folder.
Form and Questionnaire Descriptions
OHSS Risk Assessment
The Risk Assessment is completed by the PI/Supervisor and verified by the Participant. The form contains a series of questions about the protocol and provides the Physician with information on potential risks within the work environment related to the protocol, such as:
- Animal Contact
- Select or Biological Agents
- Chemical Agents
- Physical Agents
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- General Safety Training
OHSS Health Questionnaire
The Health Questionnaire is completed by the participant and confidentially routed to a Physician. Participants should be prepared with vaccine information to streamline the process. The form provides the Physician with personal health information, including:
- General Health History
- Prescription Medications
- Health Status Changes
Note: Your medical information is protected by law. Your supervisor is not granted access to your Health Questionnaire or Medical Assessment.
Respirator Use Questionnaire
OSHA requires a separate questionnaire for those that are REQUIRED to wear a respirator. This OHSS module is expected to be ready in early 2020. Until that time a paper-based process is still in use. Please contact email@example.com to request a form.
How to securely send your Respirator Medical Evaluation Questionnaire for evaluation
- Option 1: Scan the completed questionnaire and send it as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Important: The subject line of your email must begin with: [Encrypt] Your Name
- The email must be encrypted. It is a HIPAA violation to send unencrypted emails containing health information.
- Option 2: Return the completed questionnaire via mail.
- Place the form in a sealed envelope and write, "CONFIDENTIAL HEALTH FORM" along with your name across the envelope seal.
- Send the envelope to: Occupational Health Program; University of Nevada, Reno; 1664 N. Virginia Street/MS 0328; Reno, NV, 89557
OHSS Medical Assessment
The Medical Assessment is completed by the Physician and reviewed by the participant. The Medical Assessment provides the participant with evaluation information including:
- If cleared for work
- Needed follow up
- Additional requirements:
- Tuberculosis Screening
- Hepatitis B Vaccine
- Needed Immunizations or Tests
For persons who wish to decline participation in the medical surveillance, vaccine, hearing conservation or other program, a signed document is required. Please contact email@example.com and a form will be sent to you.