Chemical inventory management program


Migration of the ChemTracker database from Stanford servers to BioRAFT ChemTracker has been completed. Please read more about gaining access to your inventory since the ChemTracker migration.

Chemical inventory at a glance

Program contact

Luis Barthel-Rosa
Manager, Chemical Management Services
University of Nevada, Reno
Mail stop 0328
Reno, NV 89557
(775) 327-2270

Chemical Inventory at the University of Nevada, Reno is maintained by Environmental Health and Safety staff. The inventory is maintained by the following methods:

  • EH&S staff regularly schedule visits to buildings and rooms where chemicals are used/stored to obtain a snap-shot of the chemicals present at that time. Most buildings are physically inventoried once per year.
  • EH&S staff identify chemical containing packages delivered to the University at Central Receiving on a daily basis and inventory them before they are delivered to the recipients.
  • Since 2004, chemicals inventoried by EH&S have had a unique seven digit bar code number sticker placed on the bottle to facilitate tracking and the physical inventory. Beginning in October 2018, all chemicals barcoded by EH&S will have a unique Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) flag-tag with an eight digit bar code number placed on the bottle to facilitate tracking and the physical inventory. Please see the RFID Barcodes page for more information. Note that some chemicals are inventoried, but not barcoded. For specifics please see the Items Inventoried section below.
  • All scientific research and teaching laboratories that use/store chemicals are included in the physical annual inventory.
  • Some non-lab areas, such as the Art and Theater departments, although their inventories may be updated less frequently.

The physical inventory program started in 2004 and expanded in 2006 to include daily operations at Central Receiving.


The EH&S department uses ChemTracker software to manage and store chemical inventory data.

  • Use your UNR Net ID and password to access ChemTracker 5
    This is a link to 3rd party online content; if you experience any issues accessing this content, please contact EH&S
  • You will not be able to see your PI's chemical inventory until they grant you access. Please contact your faculty research advisor (Principal Investigator, PI) to grant you access in ChemTracker.
  • You will be granted access to view only the inventory of the areas where you work; you will not be able to search the entire university inventory or see inventory of other faculty or laboratories (except by special agreed upon pre-arrangements).
  • Experience has shown that better data quality is achieved when the number of data entry users is limited.
  • Chemical inventory data is managed and updated by EH&S staff daily by inventorying all incoming chemicals at central receiving and also conducts periodic updates in laboratory spaces
  • Use ChemTracker to search and display your PI's chemical inventory.
  • Perform search by chemical abstract serial (CAS) numbers, or by chemical name, or display your PI's entire inventory.
  • You can export your PI's entire inventory to MS excel spreadsheet for broader searches.
  • Perform searches by hazards (e.g. peroxide forming chemicals, flammable, toxics, etc.).
  • If you need a chemical that is not in your inventory and you would like to "borrow" small amounts, contact EH&S can assist by possibly locating the chemical you need and someone willing to loan some to you.
  • The fees for the University to access ChemTracker are paid for by EH&S. Individual departments, labs and researchers are not charged fees to access ChemTracker.

Materials inventoried

The lists below show the items that are generally inventoried, and generally not inventoried, by EH&S during the physical inventory in buildings and also at Central Receiving. If something was excluded from your inventory, please contact

Items inventoried

  • All chemicals and chemical products obtained from commercial sources (including mixtures) that are considered hazardous under OHSA’s Hazard Communication Standard (29 CFR 1910.1200)
  • Long term storage or permanent secondary containers containing hazardous materials (such as fire safety cans and plastic solvent jugs) when such items are marked with either a GHS, NFPA, or HMIS label and all compressed and liquefied gases (including propane tanks)
    NOTE: These items are inventoried in ChemTracker, however they are not always affixed with a barcode
  • Unregulated radioactive materials (Uranium, Thorium compounds)
  • Kits for biological or other uses if a component of the kit is hazardous under OHSA’s Hazard Communication Standard
    NOTE: Individual kit components are not barcoded.  These items are inventoried and barcoded as a kit.
  • Hazardous consumer-type products (bleach, pesticides, herbicides, paints, items with a FDA Drug Facts label) that are going to be used in a laboratory or studio environment

Items generally not inventoried

  • Materials to be expended within 1-2 days (e.g., working solutions, solutions prepared in the lab, unlabeled secondary containers)
  • Commercial products (e.g. cleansers, dish soap) that are going to be used in non-laboratory or studio locations.
    NOTE: Household or consumer-type hazardous product will be inventoried if they are going to be used in a lab or studio
  • Regulated Radioactive materials
  • Chemicals obtained directly from laboratory synthesis
  • Microorganisms or other biologically hazardous materials
  • Non-hazardous buffers or solutions
  • Non-hazardous microbiological growth media (Agar, broths, cell growth media)
  • Items stored at or below -20 degrees Celsius

If something is not in your inventory that you would like added, contact the inventory program manager at

Regulatory requirements

The EH&S department is responsible for maintaining certain operational permits and other local, state and federal regulations. The information from the EH&S campus chemical inventory is used to meet regulatory compliance for the following ( contact EH&S for a copy of permits):

  • Sewer discharge permits, fume hood air emissions permit, and Nevada State Fire Marshall Hazard Material Inventory Permit.
  • Federal level regulations include Department of Homeland Security Chemical Facility and Anti-Terrorism Standard, and Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) employee exposure records.