9.0 Hazard Communication by Personnel Outside the Department or Workplace

Revised February, 2021

9.1 University Personnel

University personnel, who will perform work in a location that is not their normal workplace, and where hazardous chemicals are stored or used, must contact the workplace supervisor or other designated person prior to performing the work. The supervisor or designated person is responsible for informing personnel who will perform the work of the identity and location of any hazardous chemicals that may be encountered, the availability of SDSs (if requested), and precautions to be taken to prevent personnel exposure and other incidents.

9.2 Work Conducted by Contractor Personnel

When requested, contractors are required to submit legible copies of SDSs for all chemicals that they will use on University property or in University facilities prior to the onset of work. Contractors must have SDSs with them whenever they possess or use hazardous chemicals.

It is the responsibility of the University project coordinator to ask the contractor about the use of hazardous chemicals, and if chemicals will be used, whether or not preventative measures will be required to prevent overexposure to contractor or the University personnel. If chemicals will be used under conditions which are expected to produce significant odor outside of the immediate work location, or personnel exposure that may cause adverse health symptoms (e.g., irritation, headache) in either contractor or the University personnel, the project coordinator must ensure that appropriate control measures will be implemented prior to initiation of work. EH&S should be notified in these cases and included in design of the control measures.

10.0 Communication of Hazard Information to Non-University Personnel