The goal of the University's Occupational Health program is to minimize discomfort and illness related to indoor air contaminants, poor ventilation, and exposure to chemical, biological and physical hazards.
Indoor air pollutant levels are often many times higher than outside. Considering that individuals spend approximately 90% of their time indoors, the importance of indoor air quality becomes apparent. Potential indoor air contaminants in UNR facilities include volatile organic compounds, microbial agents, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, pollen, environmental tobacco smoke, and other agents may cause discomfort or illness. Adequate ventilation is the driving force behind good indoor air quality. Poor ventilation can be due to a lack of general supply and/or fresh outside air, poor air distribution, unsatisfactory filtration, or insufficient exhaust capability. Indoor air quality cannot be maintained without proper ventilation. Potential occupational exposure to chemicals such as lead, biological hazards such as bloodborne pathogens, and physical hazards such as noise or thermal stress also exist at the University.
Primary occupational health functions include: evaluation of indoor air quality incidents, complaints, and potential exposures; development and implementation of of the University indoor air quality, exhaust ventilation, and respiratory protection programs; exposure monitoring for chemical, biological, and physical hazards; employee/student training; and facility audits, inspections, and investigations.
Bloodborne Pathogen Program
- OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens
- Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Control Plan
- Preventing Needlestick Injuries in Health Care Settings
- List of Safety-Engineered Sharp Devices
- OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Standard - 1910.1030
- Enforcement Procedures for Bloodborne Pathogens
Confined Space Program
Respiratory Protection Program
- Respiratory Protection Program
- Voluntary Respiratory Protection Program
- NIOSH - Respirator vs. Dust mask & Donning and Duffing
- Drop Down Half Face Fitting Instructions
- Filtering Facepiece Fitting Instructions
- Full Face 4 Strap Fitting Instructions
- Full Face 6 Strap Fitting Instructions
- Half Face Fitting Instruction