- Advising Info: Academic Advisors
- More Info: Managerial Sciences
- Career Options: Options for students with a degree in Finance include corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions research, commercial banking, and venture capital and private equity.
A Finance degree provides students knowledge essential for careers in financial management, banking and other financial institutions, investments, and insurance. Scenarios a financier may encounter on a regular basis include the following:
- A corporation needs new financing. Is it better to issue bonds or shares? What are the costs and benefits of each alternative? What are the features that can be packaged with the new bond or stock that will attract investors?
- A corporation is considering an expansion of its manufacturing facilities. How do we estimate the value created by the expansion? How should it be financed?
- In small business environments working capital management is crucial. Budgeting cash inflows and outflows, understanding the financial implications of credit policy and inventory management.
- An investment banker is bringing a new issue of stock to the market. When is the best time to do it? At what price should it be offered? How should it be placed?
- The research department of a mutual fund management firm considers the stock of a corporation for possible inclusion in its portfolio. Are its growth prospects sustainable? What is the price we should pay for it?
- An importer is considering how to hedge its future payment to foreign suppliers from a change in the exchange rates. How should we hedge the foreign exchange risk?
Internships in finance with local companies are available for qualified majors in the greater Reno area. These internships provide real world experiences in finance and often lead to career opportunities either directly with the company or through the experience and contacts gained on the job.
Independent studies with faculty members provide a unique opportunity to explore areas of personal interest under professional supervision. A number of scholarships are offered each year by both state and local sponsors. These resources are available to qualified students majoring in finance. Independent studies must be approved by the area coordinator and the department chair.
Related Degrees and Programs