Deadline for fall application: May 1
Students wishing to apply to the MSIS program must meet the admissions criteria for both the University of Nevada, Reno Graduate School and the Information Systems Department MSIS program.
Please review The Graduate School admission requirements.
The MSIS admission requirements are:
- A Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT) score of 500 or better. Students must also place in the 20th percentile or higher in each portion (verbal, written and quantitative) of the exam. These minimum scores are subject to change. GMAT or GRE exceptions are only granted if the applicant has completed one of the following:
- Earned an undergraduate degree with Information Systems major is from an AACSB Business School and a 3.5 or higher GPA
- Earned a graduate degree from a regionally accredited school with a 3.0 or higher GPA
- Has served as a full-time academic faculty member at an AACSB Accredited College for at least five years
- Proficiency in word processing and the general ability to use computers to analyze and solve business problems using software such as spreadsheets, statistical packages and databases.
- For international students, a minimum score of 550 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or 6.5 on the International English Language Test System (IELTS). International students may also be required to complete additional Intensive English courses during their first semester in the program.
Depending on which track the student chooses, there may be additional admission requirements. See the program's catalog listing for more details on admission requirements.
While a bachelor's degree in Information Systems is not required for admission to the MSIS program, students may need to complete prerequisite courses if their undergraduate degree is in a field other than Business or Information Systems. These prerequisites may be satisfied by professional knowledge gained outside of the classroom, however, or by similar courses taken at other institutions. These prerequisite waivers may be granted by the MSIS program director or by a designee named by the director.
To apply, students must submit the following documents to the Graduate School at the University of Nevada, Reno:
- A completed and signed Graduate School application.
- A $60.00 nonrefundable application fee
- An official transcript from each college or university where work has been completed or is in progress
- The student's official GMAT report
Students should also submit the following documents directly to the MSIS program director, Dana Edberg at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A current, detailed resume, including all undergraduate education and work experience.
- Personal statement expressing your career interest and indicating why you wish to obtain an MSIS.
Students may be admitted into the MSIS program in either the fall or spring semesters. Applications are approved on a continuing basis, but students should file complete applications at least two months prior to the semester in which they wish to matriculate.
A note on tuition within the MSIS: The University charges differential fees in addition to the usual tuitions costs for the Master of Accountancy (MAcc), Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Science in Finance (MSF) and Master of Science in Information Systems (MSIS) programs. The differential fee is $100 per credit for graduate level courses in accounting (ACC), business administration (BADM), business (BUS), entrepreneurship (ENT), gaming management (GAM), finance (FIN), information systems (IS), management (MGT) and marketing (MKT). These additional fees support financial aid of students in the programs, as well as enhance the curriculum and services to the program's students.