Graduate admission requirements for international students

Need help or more information? Call us at (775) 784-6869 or email

Jump to countries exempt from English language testing.

Who qualifies as an international applicant?

An international applicant is a person who is not a U.S. citizen nor holds a permanent residency visa. Any student who would need the University to issue a student visa is considered an international applicant. To read additional information about what types of visas may be considered for domestic status, please visit the Office of International Students and Scholars

What are the application requirements?

Below are the requirements for international applicants:

  1. Bachelor’s degree or recognized equivalent from an accredited institution
  2. Eligibility for admission with a 3-year bachelor's degree are determined on a case by case basis
  3. Minimum undergraduate grade point average (on a 4.0 scale):
    • 2.75 for a master’s degree
    • 3.0 for a doctoral degree
  4. Online application
  5. Official transcripts (statement of marks) from every institution attended for a complete history of your education. Certified English translations of all transcripts must be submitted. Transcripts must be requested from the issuing institution, in the country of origin, in a sealed envelope by the graduating institution. This is important – applicants cannot be responsible for sealing the envelopes themselves. An official English translation should be included. Read the international FAQ to help you get your transcripts to the University of Nevada, Reno on time.
  6. Official GRE or GMAT test scores from an exam taken within the past 5 years (exam requirement and recommended scores are determined by individual programs)
  7. Official Duolingo, TOEFL, IELTSPearson, or Cambridge English exam scores if your educational history is from a non-English speaking country.*  
    Minimum score requirements. (Please note: Your program may require higher scores than the Graduate School minimums.)
    1. Duolingo: 105
    2. TOEFL: 79 IBT (including Home Edition and Paper Edition) or 8.5 (Essentials)
    3. IELTS: 6.5 (academic version)
    4. Pearson (PTE): 59
    5. Cambridge: 176
  8. Your resume or curriculum vitae
  9. Statement of purpose
  10. Letters of recommendation, per program-specific requirements (your recommenders will be notified by email after you complete your online application.)

After your admittance, the Office of International Students & Scholars will require information on your financial data and visa before you can register for classes, so get started early!

What English language test scores are required?

Official TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo, Pearson or Cambridge test scores will be required unless you are a U.S. citizen or have earned a degree in one of the following English-speaking countries exempt from testing:

  • Antigua
  • Australia
  • Bahamas, The
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • British Guyana
  • Canada (except for Quebec)
  • Dominica

  • Ghana
  • Grenada
  • Ireland
  • Jamaica
  • Kenya
  • Liberia
  • New Zealand
  • Nigeria
  • St. Kitts and Nevis

  • St. Lucia
  • St. Vincent
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Uganda
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
  • Virgin Islands (British, U.S.)
  • U.S. Territories

English language test or GRE scores can be submitted to the Graduate School using school institution code 4844.

University-wide minimum English-language test scores*

*Some programs require higher scores. Check with your program director or potential adviser.

Additional frequently asked questions