Office of International Students & Scholars

Fostering intercultural understanding and enhancing the skills of our students to be successful in an increasingly interconnected world

Welcome to the University of Nevada, Reno and to a vibrant global community of students and scholars representing over 70 nations. The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) provides information and advice regarding visa categories, international student admission, employment options, and cultural adjustment. Programs and activities are offered that foster intercultural understanding and enhance the skills needed to be successful in an increasingly interconnected world.

Information for international scholars

The University of Nevada, Reno is home to international scholars from all over the world. Use the resources below to learn about employment and work permission, visa process, program provisions, travel, health insurance and more by visa classification.

H-1B visa

The H-1B category is designed for the temporary employment in a "specialty occupation". A specialty occupation is defined as one that requires a "theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge" along with at least a bachelor's degree or its foreign equivalent in the field required for the position.

B-1 business visitor visa

B-1 business visa classification is used by international visitors traveling to the United States for short visits to attend conferences, seminars, interviews or meetings. It can also be used to conduct short-term independent research that does not benefit the University of Nevada, Reno or rely heavily on the University's resources.

J-1 visa

The U.S. Department of State administers the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program for promoting the international exchange of educational expertise, collaboration and research. J-1 scholars are visiting researchers, professors and specialists from countries outside of the United States who have been approved to enter the country for a specific purpose and amount of time.

TN nonimmigrant classification

The 1993 NAFTA agreement created the TN nonimmigrant classification that allows Canadian and Mexican Citizens to enter U.S. to work in a professional capacity for up to three years. The TN status can be extended indefinitely in increments of up to three years.

Annual reports

OISS 2021-2022 annual report

OISS 2020-2021 annual report