Currently enrolled international students

Currently enrolled international students

Resources for our F-1 and J-1 enrolled students, ranging from information on work authorization to scholarships.

A message about Novel Coronavirus or 2019-nCoV

As many of you may have heard from the news, a new respiratory virus has emerged called the Novel Coronavirus or 2019-nCoV. This virus was first identified in the city of Wuhan, China. At present, the majority of the cases have occurred in Wuhan, however, the virus has spread to other countries, including the United States. Since this is a virus that has not previously been seen in humans, the situation with regard to 2019-nCoV is still unclear. While severe illness, including a number of deaths have been reported in China, other patients have had a much milder illness.

Information by student type

F-1 students

F-1 is the most commonly used visa by students who come to the United States to pursue full-time graduate or undergraduate study. If you are an F-1 student, learn more about applying for a visa, staying in status, program extensions, work authorization, enrollment requirements and F-2 dependents.

J-1 students

If you are a J-1 student, learn more about J-1 visa requirements, health insurance requirements, the two-year home country requirement, work authorization and more.

Outbound exchange

Outbound exchange is operated through agreements with over 25 partner institutions in countries around the world. Students pay tuition here, and fees at the partner university. Semester and yearlong programs are available to all students. Have the experience of a lifetime studying abroad.


The Office of International Students and Scholars offers a variety of financial awards and scholarships to international students, ranging from $300 to $500 per year. Learn more about these awards and other scholarship programs available to international students.

Scholarships and funding

The University of Nevada, Reno provides high quality education at competitive price with a variety of funding opportunities. The Office of International Students and scholars offers several awards, ranging from $300 to $5,000 for international students. Graduate students can also access different forms of funding for their graduate education.