Records management policy
At the University of Nevada, Reno, the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) oversees student and scholar immigration documentation for students and scholars attending the University. The University follows the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Record Retention Policy based on AACRAO (American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers) and FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act). University specific policies are available in the University Administrative Manual. Within OISS, we also follow the policies dictated by US Department of State (DOS) and US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as they apply to immigration information.
- Electronic documents: All international students have an electronic file in the Terra Dotta ISSS system and the OnBase document management system. Within each file, received documents are retained by document type such as passport, immunization, various requests, etc. Each document type may contain an automated retention and disposition process as appropriate in accordance with NSHE, University, and DOS/DHS policies. Security to each document type is maintained by Associate Registrar of Operations in accordance with OIT (Office of Information Technology) security policies.
- Record of student correspondence is maintained in accordance with NSHE/University policy within hosted Slate and TargetX recruitment platforms, TeamDynamix incident management system, Terra Dotta ISSS system and Office 365.
- Electronic documents: All international scholars have an electronic file in the Terra Dotta ISSS system.
- Paper documents: All international scholars have a hard copy file in the OISS office. Within each file received documents are retained by request type such as Request for Form DS-2019, Check-in information, etc. Each immigration type (J-1, H-1B, etc.) contains a retention and disposition process as appropriate in accordance with NSHE, University and DOS/DHS policies.
- Record of scholar correspondence is maintained in accordance with NSHE/University policy within TeamDynamix incident management system, Terra Dotta ISSS system and Office 365.