Health insurance requirements for students

It is University policy that international students have health insurance coverage with appropriate repatriation and medical evacuation provisions. For the fall semester insurance coverage normally begins mid-August and ends mid-January of the following year. Spring/summer coverage begins about mid-January and ends mid-August. The exact dates may change every year. If students are arriving early for their first semester at the University, they may want to use travel insurance until their health insurance coverage begins.

Health insurance is mandatory and provided by the university. Students will be covered automatically during their semester of enrollment and charged accordingly. The University provided insurance policy through Aetna (managed by Academic HealthPlans) is designed as an accident and sickness policy that is affordable to students. There are certain limitations and restrictions of this policy which you can review by reading the benefits summary

Medical insurance requirements for J-1 visa holders

J-1 visa holders are required to maintain health insurance throughout the period of stay in the U.S., for themselves and all J-2 dependents that accompany the J- 1. Failure to maintain such health insurance while in the United States will be considered a violation of J-1 status and may lead to termination of the J-1's legal status.

If you are a J-1 visa holder, you must maintain the following required coverage for yourself and your J-2 dependents. The medical insurance coverage outlined below has been defined by U.S. federal regulations:

  • $100,000 of medical coverage per accident or illness
  • Deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation up to $25,000
  • Medical evacuation coverage to your home country of up to $50,000
  • Covers pre-existing conditions after a reasonable waiting period
  • Includes provision for co-payment that does not exceed 25 percent co-pay by the exchange visitor
  • Does not exclude benefits for perils inherent to the activities of the exchange visitor

Must be underwritten by an insurance company that meets the rating requirements of the United States Information Agency (USIA) or backed by the full faith and credit of the exchange visitor's government.

Insurance waiver

J-1 Exchange, Government Sponsored and students employed and covered by a US insurance policy have the option to waive the university provided insurance if eligible.  To request a waiver of your University international student medical insurance, go to Student Health Insurance Plan.

The waiver process will ask questions regarding your student status, and insurance coverage.  You will also be required to provide a copy of your insurance policy, in English.  Your policy must also include your name and dates of coverage.  Other items that will need to be addressed within your policy include:

  • Must provide primary care services within 100 miles of the University
  • Must provide emergency services within 100 miles of the University
  • Must pay 75% or greater for inpatient hospitalization
  • Individual annual deductible amount must not exceed $500
  • Must provide prescription drug coverage
  • Lifetime plan maximum; must be unlimited/no restrictions
  • Minimum of $100,000 per accident or injury
  • Must provide Repatriation coverage of no less than $25,000
  • Must provide Medical Evacuation coverage of no less than $50,000
  • Underwritten by United States Information Agency (USIA) or exchange visitor's government.

Waiver requirements are subject to change.