International scholars

Information by visa type

B-1 business visitor visa

B-1 business visa classification is used by international visitors traveling to the United States for short visits to attend conferences, seminars, interviews or meetings. It can also be used to conduct short-term independent research that does not benefit the University of Nevada, Reno or rely heavily on the University's resources.

H-1B visa

The H-1B category is designed for the temporary employment in a "specialty occupation". A specialty occupation is defined as one that requires a "theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge" along with at least a bachelor's degree or its foreign equivalent in the field required for the position.

J-1 visa

The U.S. Department of State administers the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program for promoting the international exchange of educational expertise, collaboration and research. J-1 scholars are visiting researchers, professors and specialists from countries outside of the United States who have been approved to enter the country for a specific purpose and amount of time.

TN nonimmigrant classification

The 1993 NAFTA agreement created the TN nonimmigrant classification that allows Canadian and Mexican Citizens to enter U.S. to work in a professional capacity for up to three years. The TN status can be extended indefinitely in increments of up to three years.

Visas, travel and permanent residency

Staying in status

The words "visa" and "lawful status" in the United States are very closely related, but are not exactly the same. Understanding the differences can be important, especially because the validity period of a visa can be either shorter or longer than the length of time a person is allowed to remain in the U.S. legally during any one stay. Learn more about visas.


In order to re-enter the United States you must have a valid passport, valid visa stamp, a recent pay-stub or current letter of employment, original DS-2019 form signed for travel if you are J-1 (J-2) visitor and I-797 notice if you are H-1B (H-4) holder. Learn more about traveling as an international scholar.

Permanent residency

While there are several avenues available for permanent residence applicants, the OISS represents the University of Nevada, Reno in the following two forms of Employment Based applications: Outstanding Professors and/or Researchers (EB-1) and Special Handling for Teaching Faculty (EB-2). Learn more about residency applications.