Information on visas

If you are a citizen of a foreign country, you must obtain a U.S. visa prior to entering the United States. The visa is placed in your passport, issued by your home country, and allows you to travel to airports and other ports of entry and request permission to enter the United States. It demonstrates you are entering the country for a specific purpose and, in this case, attending the University of Nevada, Reno as a student.

How to apply for a visa

All international students coming to study in the United States must hold valid student visas (F-1 or J-1). Learn more about the application process and what to expect.

I-20 and DS-2019 forms

OISS will provide you with a Form I-20 or DS-2019 to present to the consular officer when you attend your visa interview. Learn more about Form I-20 and DS-2019, including documentation, depending information and mailing options.

I-901 SEVIS fee

SEVIS is a web-based system used by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to maintain information on nonimmigrant international students and exchange visitors. All prospective visa applicants must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee. Learn more about this process.

Ten tips for securing your visa

The visa application process can be daunting and overwhelming. Keep reading to get ten tips for making the visa application process as easy as possible.