Permanent residency for international scholars
There are several avenues available for permanent residence applicants, the most common forms of employment-based applications for University of Nevada, Reno employees are:
- Outstanding Professors and/or Researchers (EB-1)
- Special Handling for Teaching Faculty (EB-2)
General requirements for residency applications
- Must be sponsored by your employer/department
- I-140 fee must be paid by employer
- Position must be "permanent". Permanent is defined as "either tenured, tenure-track, or for a term of indefinite or unlimited duration, and in which the employee will ordinarily have an expectation of continued employment unless there is good cause for termination". 8 C.F.R. 204.5(i)(2).
OISS does not currently have the staff to file these applications for University employees. We initiate communication between a University approved immigration attorney and the department for PR applications.
Role of the department in PR applications
The department is responsible for the collection of documents and ensuring payment of fees to the attorney and USCIS.
Steps for referral to University approved immigration attorney
- The department will contact the OISS (Adilia Ross, email@example.com and Puja Shrestha, firstname.lastname@example.org) to request the immigration attorney referral form.
- Once the referral form is submitted to OISS, OISS will send the department the selected attorney’s intake form. The department is responsible for getting the form completed and sending the form with supporting documents to OISS.
- OISS will forward the referral form, intake form, and supporting documents to the selected attorney and notify Human Resources of the referral.
- The attorney will follow up with the department.
EB-1 and Eb-2 residence application overview
Outstanding professor/researcher: Employment-based level 1 (EB-1) criteria
- Three years post-graduate teaching/research experience in the specialty field
- Must have a Ph.D. and job must be in a related field
- Letters from the university certifying full-time permanent position Record of outstanding qualifications and/or research in the specialty field
- Evidence of international recognition
- Recommendations from experts in the field attesting to petitioners impact on the field
- Significant publications in selective journals with international distribution
- Evidence of scholar's participation on a panel, or individually, as the judge of the work of others in the field
- Receipt of major prizes & awards
- Published material in the profession written by others about the scholars work in the academic field
- Membership in selective associations
Special recruitment for teaching faculty: Employment-based level 2 (EB-2) criteria
- Must be teaching position; combination of teaching & other duties is allowed
- Position must require at least Master's degree or higher & the person must have the required degree
- Position must be advertised in print in a journal with national circulation
- Selection made within the last 16 months
- Best qualified candidate is sufficient