Permanent residency for international scholars

While there are several avenues available for permanent residence applicants, the Office of International Students and Scholars represents the University of Nevada, Reno in the following two forms of employment-based applications:

  • Outstanding Professors and/or Researchers (EB-1)
  • Special Handling for Teaching Faculty (EB-2)

General requirements for residency applications

  • Must be sponsored by your employer/department
  • I-140 fee must be paid by employer
  • Position must be "permanent." Permanent is defined as "either tenured, tenure-track, or for a term of indefinite or unlimited duration, and in which the employee will ordinarily have an expectation of continued employment unless there is good cause for termination"
  • 8 C.F.R. 204.5(i)(2)

EB-1 and Eb-2 residence application overview

  • Outstanding professor/researcher: Employment-based level 1 (EB-1) criteria
    • Three years post-graduate teaching/research experience in the specialty field
    • Must have a Ph.D. and job must be in a related field
    • Letters from the university certifying full-time permanent position Record of outstanding qualifications and/or research in the specialty field
    • Evidence of international recognition
    • Recommendations from experts in the field attesting to petitioners impact on the field
    • Significant publications in selective journals with international distribution
    • Evidence of scholar's participation on a panel, or individually, as the judge of the work of others in the field
    • Receipt of major prizes & awards
    • Published material in the profession written by others about the scholars work in the academic field
    • Membership in selective associations
  • Special recruitment for teaching faculty: Employment-based level 2 (EB-2) criteria
    • Must be teaching position; combination of teaching & other duties is allowed
    • Position must require at least Master's degree or higher & the person must have the required degree
    • Position must be advertised in print in a journal with national circulation
    • Selection made within the last 16 months
    • Best qualified candidate is sufficient