J-1 scholars

J-1 program provisions

Learn more about how long you can remain in the country on a J-1 visa, program extensions and grace periods, bringing dependents and spouses to the U.S., home country residency requirements, maintaining legal status in the country and more.

Home country requirements

Certain J-1 exchange visitors are required to spend two years in their home country at the end of their J-1 program. J-1 exchange visitors subject to this requirement cannot apply for H, L, or immigrant status unless they either return to their country of nationality for two years or obtain a waiver of the requirement.

Health insurance requirements

J-1 visa holders are required to maintain health insurance throughout the period of stay in the U.S., for themselves and all J-2 dependents that accompany the J- 1. Failure to maintain such health insurance while in the United States will be considered a violation of J-1 status and may lead to termination of the J-1's legal status.

J-2 work requirements for dependents

J-2 dependents are eligible to apply for work authorization to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). The approval process takes anywhere from two to four months and the applicant will receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card.

J-1 visa procedures for departments

The most common way to bring foreign scholars or specialists to the University of Nevada, Reno for temporary appointment is through our Exchange Visitor Program. The Department must first request a DS-2019 form which is then used by the visitor to apply for J-1 visa at the U.S. Consulate abroad.