International student enrollment requirements

Enrolling less than full-time without Office of International Students and Scholars authorization will affect your immigration status and could lead to your SEVIS record being terminated. If there are any circumstances that affect your full-time enrollment that you would like to discuss with an OISS advisor, please call the office at (775) 784-6874 to schedule an appointment.

Please make sure to enroll in classes and pay your tuition by the end of the day on the Friday before classes begin to avoid late fees. If you enroll in any classes after that Friday, pay the same day to avoid late fees.

Immigration full-time enrollment requirements

Student type Credits
Undergraduate 12 credits
Graduate 9 credits
Graduate students with assistantship 6 credits

Less than full-time enrollment

You must maintain full-time enrollment for the entire semester or have OISS authorization to enroll less than full-time by submitting a Reduced Course Load form.

  • If you are not on post-completion OPT and will not be enrolled full-time, even if you are graduating at the end of that semester, you should get authorization from OISS first. You must apply for graduation in MyNEVADA before submitting the RCL form.
  • If you have an assistantship, the Graduate School requires you to be enrolled in at least six credits to maintain your assistantship. You cannot drop below nine credits without an approved RCL form.
  • Students with less than full-time enrollment remaining to complete their degree requirements may still receive their University scholarships in their final term as long as they are enrolled for a minimum of six University credits, have applied for graduation prior to the end of add/drop (application for graduation prior to the start of the term is highly encouraged) and meet all the scholarship requirements.

Please submit the completed Reduced Course Load form and supporting documents by noon on the last day to add classes without instructor approval, in case you have to add classes if we do not approve your reduced course load. Check the Academic Calendar for the date. You do not need to submit the Reduced Course Load form if you will be on post-completion OPT during the semester.