J-1 work authorization

Academic training

Academic training (AT) is an off-campus employment authorization in the field of study available to J1 students. AT for non-degree, undergraduate, and pre-doctoral students may be up to 18 months or the period of the full course of study.

J-2 work requirements for dependents

J-2 dependents are eligible to apply for work authorization to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). The approval process takes anywhere from two to four months and the applicant will receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card.

Economic hardship

J-1 students are eligible for this type of off-campus employment only if they have experienced financial problems caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond their control that have arisen since acquiring exchange visitor status.