Working with OISS on I-20 and DS-2019 forms

The Office of International Students and Scholars will provide you with a Form I-20 or DS-2019 to present to the consular officer when you attend your visa interview.

What documents do you need to submit to OISS for an I-20 or DS-2019 form?

In order to be issued a Form I-20/DS-2019, please submit all the documents listed below to the Office of International Students and Scholars:

1. Passport information. A copy of your passport biographical page

2. Financial documentation. Financial documents of a liquid fund showing a minimum of $38,223. The documents must be dated within the previous 12 months of application submission and may come from any dependable source, including your personal funds, funds from your family or friends, graduate assistantship, scholarships, etc. Bank statements should be on bank letterhead

For a DS-2019, the minimum amount shown should be enough to cover the duration of studies as set by OISS. For example, if a J-1 student will study for 3 years, they will need to show financial documents to cover $114,669.

3. Financial data form. Only submit this form if your financial documents from a sponsor, e.g., family, relative, friend, etc.

4. Shipping request form. Complete this form if you would like OISS to mail your documents to you.

5. Transfer verification form. Only submit this form if you are already in the United States on an F-1 or J-1 visa.

Dependents and I-20 and DS-2019 forms

If you wish to bring your dependents while you study in the Unites States, they must obtain individual Form I-20s/DS-2019s. To obtain the documents, please submit the following information to the Office of International Students and Scholars:

Financial documentation. Provide additional financial documents that show $7,000 of financial support for your spouse and $3,000 for each child.

For J-2 dependents, the amount should be enough to cover the time it will take the J-1 student to complete their studies as set by OISS. For example, if the J-1 student will study for 3 years, the support should be $21,000 for the spouse and $9,000 for each child

Passport information. Submit a copy of your dependents passport(s) biographical page.

Demographic information. Provide the following information about your dependent(s):

  • First and last name
  • Date of birth
  • City and country of birth
  • Relationship to applicant

If your dependents were born in the U.S., they do not need to apply for a visa. They are considered U.S. citizens.

Mailing options for I-20 or DS-2019 immigration documents

In-person pick-up

If you have wish to have a friend or relative pick up your documents, please fill out and sign the Authorization to Release Information form and mail, email or fax it back to us.

Office of International Students and Scholars
University of Nevada, Reno
1667 North Virginia Street
Fitzgerald Student Services Building, MS 0074
Reno, Nevada 89557

(775) 327-5845


Regular mail

Our office will send your documents to you by regular mail or airmail at no cost to you. Use our shipping request form to get the form to provide the mailing address.

OISS shipping request form

Express mail service

The Office of International Students and Scholars is pleased to make available express mailing through DHL, FedEx, and UPS of immigration documents (I-20 or DS-2019) to students in most countries overseas or domestically.

NOTE: Please be aware that several of our students have reported problems receiving packages shipped via DHL.

Requesting your immigration documents through express mail is at your expense and the credit card information you provide upon requesting the service will be charged. To request express mailing of your documents, follow the instructions below.

You will need your NSHE ID, email address, phone number, mailing address and a valid credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover cards only). University Express Mail Services (eShipGlobal) will notify OISS that you are requesting your immigration documents be sent to you by express mail.

How to request express mail processing

  • Use eShipGlobal. Access the secure eShipGlobal website ( do not go directly through the DHL, FedEx, or UPS websites). Works best with Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox browsers.
  • Create an account. An activation email will be sent to you to complete the account activation.
  • Select University information. Select the University of Nevada, Reno as your university and Office of INTL Students and Scholars as the department.
  • Mailing address. Enter your mailing address.
  • Payment. Enter your payment information.
  • Review order. Review your address and payment information. Errors in the information submitted will delay the shipping of your immigration documents.
  • Place your order. You will be sent an email that includes the tracking number and order details of your shipment.

If you experience any difficulty in registering and processing the shipment, contact eShipGlobal at (800) 816-1615 or email at