Working with OISS on I-20 and DS-2019 forms
The Office of International Students and Scholars will provide you with a Form I-20 or DS-2019 to present to the consular officer when you attend your visa interview.
What documents do I need to submit to OISS for an I-20 or DS-2019 form?
In order to be issued a Form I-20/DS-2019, please submit all the documents listed below to the Office of International Students and Scholars:
- Passport information. Submit a copy of your passport biographical page.
- Financial documentation. Submit financial documents of a liquid fund showing a minimum of $39,407. The documents must be dated within 12 months prior to application submission and may come from any dependable source, including your personal funds, funds from your family or friends, a graduate assistantship, scholarships, etc. Bank statements should be on bank letterhead.
For a DS-2019, the minimum amount shown should be enough to cover the duration of studies as set by OISS. For example, if a J-1 student will study for 3 years, they will need to show financial documents to cover $118,221.
- Financial data form. Only submit this form if your financial documents are from a sponsor, such as a family member, relative, friend, etc.
- Shipping request form. Complete this form if you would like OISS to mail your documents to you.
- Transfer verification form. Only submit this form if you are already in the United States on an F-1 or J-1 visa.
Dependents and I-20 and DS-2019 forms
If you wish to bring your dependents while you study in the United States, they must obtain individual Form I-20s/DS-2019s. To obtain the documents, please submit the following information to the Office of International Students and Scholars:
- Financial documentation. Provide additional financial documents that show $7,000 of financial support for your spouse and $3,000 for each child.
For J-2 dependents, the amount should be enough to cover the time it will take the J-1 student to complete their studies as set by OISS. For example, if the J-1 student will study for 3 years, the support should be $21,000 for the spouse and $9,000 for each child.
- Passport information. Submit a copy of your dependents' passport biographical page(s).
- Demographic information. Provide the following information about your dependent(s):
- First and last name
- Date of birth
- City and country of birth
- Relationship to applicant
If your dependents were born in the U.S., they do not need to apply for a visa. They are considered U.S. citizens.