Working with OISS on I-20 and DS-2019 forms
The Office of International Students and Scholars will provide you with a Form I-20 or DS-2019 to present to the consular officer when you attend your visa interview.
What documents do you need to submit to OISS for an I-20 or DS-2019 form?
In order to be issued a Form I-20/DS-2019, please submit all the documents listed below to the Office of International Students and Scholars:
1. Passport information. A copy of your passport biographical page
2. Financial documentation. Financial documents of a liquid fund showing a minimum of $38,223. The documents must be dated within the previous 12 months of application submission and may come from any dependable source, including your personal funds, funds from your family or friends, graduate assistantship, scholarships, etc. Bank statements should be on bank letterhead
For a DS-2019, the minimum amount shown should be enough to cover the duration of studies as set by OISS. For example, if a J-1 student will study for 3 years, they will need to show financial documents to cover $114,669.
3. Financial data form. Only submit this form if your financial documents from a sponsor, e.g., family, relative, friend, etc.
4. Shipping request form. Complete this form if you would like OISS to mail your documents to you.
5. Transfer verification form. Only submit this form if you are already in the United States on an F-1 or J-1 visa.
Dependents and I-20 and DS-2019 forms
If you wish to bring your dependents while you study in the Unites States, they must obtain individual Form I-20s/DS-2019s. To obtain the documents, please submit the following information to the Office of International Students and Scholars:
Financial documentation. Provide additional financial documents that show $7,000 of financial support for your spouse and $3,000 for each child.
For J-2 dependents, the amount should be enough to cover the time it will take the J-1 student to complete their studies as set by OISS. For example, if the J-1 student will study for 3 years, the support should be $21,000 for the spouse and $9,000 for each child
Passport information. Submit a copy of your dependents passport(s) biographical page.
Demographic information. Provide the following information about your dependent(s):
- First and last name
- Date of birth
- City and country of birth
- Relationship to applicant
If your dependents were born in the U.S., they do not need to apply for a visa. They are considered U.S. citizens.