Careers in Data Analytics
Data scientists are in high demand yet there are relatively few people with the right skills to do the job. As organizations collect and store increasingly large sets of data (bigger and bigger sets of "big" data) they need people able to understand and make sense out of that data. So, what exactly does a data scientist do? It depends on the objectives of the organization, but a data scientist does some or all of the following activities:
- Determines how data might be used to support one or more objectives of the organization.
- Identifies what data should be collected.
- Collects the data.
- Organizes the data in a way that is useful for analysis.
- Analyzes the data using statistical methods.
- Draws information and important insights from the analysis.
- Creates visualization methods based on the analysis that helps other people understand the information and insights from the analysis.