Online Executive MBA (EMBA)
The application for the Fall 2020 cohort is now open!
Accelerate your career with our top-rated online MBA program.
The Executive Master of Business Administration at The University of Nevada, Reno is one of the top online business programs in the country according to U.S. News and World Report and the Princeton Review. Our program was ranked #33 in the U.S. News and World Report's 2018 Best Online Programs rankings. That means you can get a superior educational experience at a competitive cost, earning the professional edge you need, while giving you the flexibility to balance the needs of your full-time job or family.
A format that fits your life.
The online, 12-course curriculum is offered as a two-year cohort program beginning each year in the Fall. This allows students in each cohort to begin the program at the same point, move through the curriculum together, and build supportive working relationships in a stimulating online environment. Courses in the EMBA program are sequenced to assure continuity in learning.
EMBA students are required to complete their degrees in two years. Each year is divided into three semesters, each containing two courses: Fall, Spring, Summer. All coursework is completed online and each class runs for 12 weeks. For each class, students will have at least one proctored exam which will be taken through an online test proctoring service or in-person in the 365 Learning testing room.
You can connect with a program ambassador to learn more about the experience from a recent EMBA graduate.
Your course education comes from eleven highly respected and experienced EMBA faculty members who also conduct traditional classes on the UNR campus. Our faculty is accustomed to helping their students succeed in any setting, so you'll feel supported in your education -- no matter the distance.
Applications are currently being accepted and reviewed for the fall term. The deadline to apply is June 1. The following are the requirements for consideration into the EMBA program:
- The EMBA program is open to those who hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year institution. Any undergraduate major is acceptable.
- The applicant must have an overall grade-point average (GPA) of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
- The applicant must have five or more years of professional work experience beyond undergraduate studies.
- Applicants must submit results of the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Exceptions are only granted if the applicant has completed one of the following:
- An accredited graduate degree (Master's, Ph.D.)
- A professional degree (JD, MD, DVM, etc.)
- An active CPA, CFP, CMA or PE license
Application Information for International Applicants
- International candidates must have strong English language communication skills, both written and spoken. As an international student, you must submit an acceptable score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- For TOEFL, you must score 550 or above on the paper-based test or 79 or above on the internet-based TOEFL.
For IELTS, you must have a score of 6.5 or above.
- Students are expected to complete a great deal of reading and writing in the program. A strong command of the English language is critical for success.
- The TOEFL is waived for students who have completed degree programs conducted in English in the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Australia or New Zealand.
Though a comprehensive and challenging curriculum, EMBA online program participants will experience the development of skills that facilitate problem solving in a complex and dynamic environment, the ability to use evidence-based reasoning to understand, manage, and lead complex organizations, and the ability to integrate qualitative and quantitative information into the decision-making process.
Core Courses (21 Credits)
BADM 700 | Statistics for Decision Making
BADM 701 | Production/Operations Management
BADM 710 | Financial Reporting and Analysis
BADM 720 | Management and Organizational Science
BADM 730 | Economics of the Firm
BADM 741 | Financial Management
BADM 760 | Marketing Management
Breadth Courses (15 Credits)
BADM 711 | Seminar Managerial Accounting
BADM 726 | Personal Branding
BADM 728 | Managing Organizations in a Global Economy
BADM 750 | Information and Communications Technology in Organizations
BADM 781 | Strategic Management for Executives
The University of Nevada, Reno's Executive MBA is competitively priced at $30,000, payable in installments of $5,000 each semester.
Watch this video to learn about the loan options available to EMBA students. In some cases, financial aid may be available. Students may apply through the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships or call (775) 784-4666 for additional information.
Veteran Education Benefits
The Online Executive MBA program is approved for veteran and veteran-related education benefits. The Veteran Services Office at the University of Nevada, Reno is your liaison to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for certification of your veteran and veteran-related education benefits.
Veterans Services provides support for applying for and receiving veteran education benefits including the following services:
- Submitting forms and information to the Veteran Affairs Education Benefits Office for the student
- Certifying classes being taken by the student
- Education benefit advising
Due to the structure of the program, the Nevada National Guard Waiver cannot be used toward EMBA classes.
Nevada System of Higher Education Employees
The Executive MBA is not eligible for the Grant-in-Aid benefit.
If you have questions about or need assistance with your application please contact 365 Learning or call (775)784-4652.
If you have questions about the Online Executive MBA program content, please contact Kambiz Raffiee, Associate Dean and Director of the Program, at email@example.com or call (775)682-9142.
- Can the GMAT or GRE requirement be waived based on years of work experience?
No, the GMAT/GRE requirement cannot be waived based on work experience. However, exceptions can be made if the applicant has completed an accredited graduate degree (Master’s, Ph.D.) or professional degree (JD, MD, DVM, etc.).
- Does the Admissions Committee require a minimum score on the GMAT or GRE?
While the Admissions Committee does not require a minimum score on the GMAT or the GRE, it is suggested that applicants receive scores at or above the national averages. Currently, the GMAT national average is a 544 total score. The GRE average is a 151 on the quantitative section, and a 151 on the verbal section.
- If I received my undergraduate degree from the University of Nevada, Reno, do I still need to request my transcript?
In many cases, the Graduate School does have access to transcripts from the University of Nevada, Reno. However, if there are courses currently in progress at the time the application is submitted or an applicant attended here many years ago, the applicant would be responsible for requesting a final official transcript.
- What is the difference between an Executive MBA and a traditional MBA program?
The EMBA and MBA are similar in many ways—both include coursework in statistics, strategic management, marketing and finance. An EMBA is designed specifically for business professionals and executives who want to accelerate their education while continuing to work full time. The online program structure offered by the University of Nevada, Reno makes a graduate education in business accessible to more students and allows professionals to earn a degree they may not be able to pursue otherwise due to work and personal obligations.
- How much time will I need to spend on assignments each week?
The EMBA is a rigorous two-year degree program that requires a significant time commitment. While individual study habits may vary, plan to spend at least 10–12 hours each week on course assignments, discussions, and research.
- How does the cohort structure work?
Students in each cohort begin the program at the same point, move through the curriculum together, and build supportive working relationships in a stimulating online environment. Courses in the EMBA program are sequenced to assure continuity in learning. EMBA students are required to complete their degrees in two years. Most students continue to work full-time while enrolled in the program.
- What are the program’s technology requirements?
Given the importance of information technology in delivery of courses online, successful applicants should:
- Be proficient in operating in a conversant online environment. Be willing to create a professionally personal online brand with Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, and a Wordpress blog for a 12-week course at the end of the program;
- Have access to computer technologies that will allow interaction with others online (e.g., webcam and microphone);
- And be proficient with MS Excel, PowerPoint, and other MS Office or related business productivity software packages.
- Are EMBA course exams online?
Students will have at least one proctored exam for each class in the program. These exams are proctored through an online proctoring service. Students are supervised by webcam and will need to provide two forms of government-issued picture IDs to confirm identity. Testing in the 365 Learning testing room is also available as long as students have immunizations on file with the University.
- Who typically enrolls in an EMBA program?
Students in the EMBA program are working professionals who seek a graduate-level business degree to enhance their careers. Most students continue working full time while enrolled in the program and are employed in mid-to upper-level management positions or are business owners.
- Is an EMBA a recognized credential?
The program builds on the awarding-winning University of Nevada, Reno part-time MBA program, ranked as one of the top programs in the United States by BusinessWeek, the country’s most prestigious source for ranking of business schools. All programs offered by the College of Business at the University of Nevada, Reno are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the highest level of accreditation attainable in business education.
- How will an EMBA impact my career?
Graduates of the EMBA program will gain knowledge and skills to:
- Lead organizations
- Tackle new and unfamiliar circumstances through a conceptual understanding of relevant disciplines
- Adapt and innovate to cope with unforeseen events
- Manage in unpredictable business environments
With a blend of theory and practice that integrates professional experiences with a graduate-level academic management curriculum, the EMBA program provides a general management emphasis suited to the needs of mid-career executives and experienced professionals. The program familiarizes students with cutting-edge issues of business disciplines for managerial decision making, and crystallizes the philosophy and capabilities of experienced professionals, fostering professional growth.
- Will the degree state that it was completed online?
The diploma will read "Executive Master of Business Administration" and will not indicate that the degree was completed online.
Congratulations to the 2019 Graduating Class of the University of Nevada, Reno Online Executive MBA Program
The commencement of the 2019 graduating class of the University of Nevada, Reno Online Executive MBA program was held on August 17, 2019. This is the seventh graduating class and celebrated 28 graduates. The 2019 graduating class has impressive credentials that show the strong reputation, quality and diversity of the program:
- The cohort included students from Arizona, California, Maryland, Nevada, and Oregon.
- The cohort had an average of 12 years of work experience when they started in 2017.
- Ten of the students started the program with Graduate or Professional Degrees, including a PhD in Bioengineering, Master of Public Administration, Master of Social Work, MA English & Political Science, MA Legal Studies, MS Mineral Resources Engineering, MS Environmental Science, and MS Computer Science.
- Sample of graduate professions/Employers: Air Traffic Controller-FAA; Senior Project and Environmental Engineer-Barrick Cortez Inc.; Human Resources Director-Nature's Bakery; Network Specialist-Multnomah County Oregon Health Department; Senior Technical Engineer-Newmont Mining; Director of Accounting & Finance-Warren Packaging, Inc.; Immigration Paralegal-Legal Aid Center of Southern NV; Clinical Lab Support Services Supervisor-Renown; Senior Hotel Operations Supervisor-Lakeside Inn & Casino; Support Delivery Manager-Microsoft; Founder/Board of Directors-Southern NV Community Health Improvement Program; Mechanical Engineer-IGT Reno.
This cohort wants you to know...
"UNR's EMBA program is challenging but rewarding. With an engineering background, I found that I was lacking in the knowledge of business and management. The EMBA program has helped me to develop my skills. The various courses are practical and can be applied to the workplace. The degree will open doors and opportunities throughout my career that I wouldn't have had otherwise." - David Cheung
"As the first member of my entire family to ever graduate from graduate school, I am proud to say that this program provided me with the flexibility and knowledge to succeed in my career. I recommend UNR's EMBA program to everyone who is looking for a highly ranked and challenging program. This EMBA program is the key to helping professionals advance their careers or switch fields completely." - Miguel L. Flores
"The UNR EMBA program provided a wide range of knowledge regarding business of all types. It also offered the skills to apply it to the workplace and to my career. Not only was there a great amount of learning involved, but the interaction between the faculty and students amplified that learning. I am now much more aware of different aspects of my business and can provide much more value to my company." - Mike Dittenber
"I would recommend anyone that is thinking about acquiring an eMBA to seriously consider UNR's eMBA program as it provides the content, support and credibility any company looks for." - Gabriel Cassaro
Related Degrees and Programs
Contact Online Executive MBA
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno, NV 89557