MBA Admissions and Checklist
The MBA Program is open to graduates from all disciplines. Students should have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in the United States, or proof of equivalent training at a foreign university.
Applications are accepted for the fall and spring semesters. Application materials must be filed at the Graduate School by the deadlines below:
- Application materials for Fall semester must be filed by March 15.
- Application materials for Spring semester must be filed by October 15.
Timeline to Process Applications:
The MBA Committee will meet the week after the March 15 deadline to review the applications.
The MBA Committee will meet the week after the October 15 deadline to review the applications. The decision letters will be sent out by the last week of October.
Admission to the MBA Program requires fulfillment of all of the following:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in the United States, or proof of equivalent training at a foreign university. The MBA Program is open to graduates from all disciplines.
- A minimum GPA (grade point average) of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
- MBA applicants may take either the GMAT or GRE examination. A recommended minimum score of 500 is required for the GMAT examination. The GRE examination has three sections (verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning and analytical writing), the minimum score for the verbal and quantitative reasoning sections is 150, and 3.5 for the analytical writing section. GMAT or GRE scores more than five years old are not accepted. Exceptions are only granted if the applicant has completed one of the following:
- An accredited graduate degree (Master's, Ph.D.).
- A professional degree (JD, MD, DVM, etc.).
- An active CPA, CFP, CMA, or PE license.
- A graduate certificate or GMAC executive assessment test.
- A minimum of two years of professional work experience.
- International candidates must have strong English language communication skills, both written and spoken. International must have a minimum Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 550 or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) of at least 79. The minimum score for Duolingo is 105.
The TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo is waived for students who have completed degree programs conducted in English in the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Australia or New Zealand. International students who are admitted to the program may be required to complete additional courses as recommended by the Intensive English Department upon enrollment.
The Graduate School and the MBA program requires the following information for admission:
- Complete an online application form with the required fee. You will need to create an account via the application portal and submit your application to the University.
- Please review the step-by-step requirements for the on the Graduate School Admissions page.
Upload and attach all required documents
- Two letters of recommendation. Once you have submitted names and emails for recommendation, recommendation requests are automatically generated.
- A two-page personal statement describing your background and why getting an MBA would enhance your career/professional goals.
- A copy of your resume.
If your application has been submitted without attachments, these items may be emailed to Christie Chaump at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit official transcripts*
Send one copy of official transcripts from all college-level course work to:
Graduate School (Mail Stop 0326)
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno, Nevada, 89557
*University of Nevada, Reno graduates do not need to submit a transcript.
Complete and submit GMAT/GRE scores
The GMAT/GRE requirement is waived for fall 2023 applicants.
Complete the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and submit official scores to the Graduate School. The school code is 4844. Waivers are available to those who have earned an advanced degree, certain professional degrees or select active licenses.
Students are expected to complete a great deal of reading and writing in the program. A strong command of the English language is critical for their success. International candidates must have strong English language communication skills, both written and spoken.
As an international student, you must submit an acceptable score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL, or International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or Duolingo.
- Minimum score requirements:
- TOEFL: 550 (paper) or 79 (internet)
- IELTS: 6.5 (academic version)
- Duolingo: 105
- The TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo is waived for students who have completed degree programs conducted in English in the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Australia or New Zealand.
For questions about the on-campus MBA application, please email Christie Chaump, Graduate Programs Coordinator, at email@example.com.