Dr. Tosun is the Barbara Smith Campbell Distinguished Professor at the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR). He is also a Professor of Economics and the Director of International Programs in the College of Business. He is a research fellow at the Institute of Labor Economics (IZA), an affiliate research fellow at the Oxford Institute of Population Ageing, a research fellow at the Economic Research Forum (ERF) for Arab Countries, Iran and Turkey, and a fellow at the Global Labor Organization (GLO). He is an Associate Editor of Socio-Economic Planning Sciences. He is on the journal editorial board of Migration Letters and the journal program committee of Przeglad Organizacji (Organization Review) in Poland. He also serves on the board of the Reno Philharmonic Association and the Ozmen Institute for Global Studies at UNR.
Dr. Tosun received his Ph.D. in Economics from the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University. His research interests and expertise include public finance (particularly tax policy), regional economics, and economics of population and demography. He has published in such journals as the Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Oxford Economics Papers, National Tax Journal, Economics Letters, International Tax and Public Finance, Journal of Regional Science, and Regional Science and Urban Economics.
He has done consulting for a number of national and international agencies, including the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund, the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (UNESCWA), the United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM), the United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), and the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy.
Dr. Tosun received a number of awards including the Graduate Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award from the College of Business in 2019, the Global Engagement Award from the University of Nevada, Reno in 2018, the Dean’s Research Professorship Award in 2013, the Best Researcher of the Year Award from Beta Gamma Sigma (an international business honor society) in 2009, and the Middle East Economic Association’s Ibn Khaldun Prize in 2005. He was also the local organizer of the 72nd Annual Congress of the International Institute of Public Finance (IIPF) which was held in Lake Tahoe in 2016, and the Anniversary Chair of the National Tax Association's 100th Anniversary Conference in 2007.
Recent Academic Publications
- Poghosyan, Tigran and Mehmet S. Tosun. 2019. “Assessing Activist Fiscal Policy in Advanced and Emerging Market Economies using Real-Time Data.” Oxford Economic Papers 71 (1): 225-249.
- Yakovlev, Pavel A., Mehmet S. Tosun and William P. Lewis. 2018. “The Fiscal Consequences of State Legislative Term Limits.” Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy. An earlier version available as IZA Discussion Paper No. 6456.
- Ouedraogo, Abdoulaye, Mehmet S. Tosun and Jingjing Yang. 2018. “Fertility and Population Policy.” Public Sector Economics (previously Financial Theory and Practice) 42 (1): 21-43.
- Nichols, Mark W. and Mehmet S. Tosun. 2017. "The Impact of Legalized Casino Gambling on Crime." Regional Science and Urban Economics 66: 1-15. Also available as IZA Discussion Paper No. 7299.
- Pippin, Sonja E. and Mehmet S. Tosun. 2016. "Tax Harmonization in the European Union and the Euro-Zone: A Multilateral Analysis of Tax Systems." Public Sector Economics (previously Financial Theory and Practice) 40 (4): 437-461.
- Ouedraogo, Abdoulaye, Mehmet S. Tosun, and Serdar Yilmaz. 2016. "Cyclicality of Public Investment in Africa." International Journal of Public Policy 12 (3/4/5/6): 378-405.
- Nichols, Mark W., Mehmet S. Tosun, and Jingjing Yang. 2015. "The Fiscal Impact of Legalized Casino Gambling." Public Finance Review 43 (6): 739-761.
- Tosun, Mehmet S. 2015. "Retiree Migration and Intergenerational Conflict." IZA World of Labor 118 doi: 10.15185/izawol.118.
- Luitel, Hari and Mehmet S. Tosun. 2014. "A Reexamination of State Fiscal Health and Amnesty Enactment." International Tax and Public Finance 21 (5): 874-893.
- Pippin, Sonja and Mehmet S. Tosun. 2014. "Electronic Tax Filing in the United States: An Analysis of Possible Success factors." Electronic Journal of e-Government 12 (1): 22-38.
- Giertz, Seth and Mehmet S. Tosun. 2012. "Migration Elasticities, Fiscal Federalism, and the Ability of States to Redistribute Income." National Tax Journal 65 (4): 1069-1092. Symposium Issue.
- Tosun, Mehmet S., Claudia Williamson and Pavel Yakovlev. 2012. "Population Aging, Elderly Migration and Education Spending: Intergenerational Conflict Revisited," Public Budgeting and Finance 32 (2): 25-39.
- Pippin, Sonja, and Mehmet S. Tosun. 2012 "Political Economy of Taxing Services in the United States," Public Finance and Management 12 (1): 1-23.
- Skidmore, Mark and Mehmet S. Tosun. 2011. "Property Value Assessment Growth Limits, Tax Base Erosion, and Regional In-Migration," Public Finance Review 39 (2): 256-287.
- Hammond, George and Mehmet S. Tosun. 2011. "The Impact of Local Decentralization on Economic Growth: Evidence from U.S. Counties," Journal of Regional Science 51 (1): 47-64.
Textbook and Professional Journal Publications
- Tosun, Mehmet S., Pavel Yakovlev and Antony Davies. 2018. Principles of Microeconomics, Second Edition. Cognella Publishers. (the first edition of the textbook was published in 2015).
- Stowe, Stephen, Tom Gillaspy, Mehmet Tosun and Susan Rhodes. 2013. "Aging and Its Impact on Municipal Credit," (Fall). Municipal Finance Journal, 33 (3): 33-55.
- Tosun, Mehmet S., Glen Atkinson and Tom Harris. 2009. "Commuting, Competition and Leakages at the Carson City-Douglas County Border in Nevada," (Spring). Economic Development Journal, 8 (2): 48-54.
- Luitel, Hari and Mehmet S. Tosun. 2005. "West Virginia Tax Amnesty: An Evaluation of Costs and Benefits," (Summer). The West Virginia Public Affairs Reporter, 22 (1): 2-9. (Refereed)
- Tosun, Mehmet S. 2002. "A Comparative Assessment of West Virginia's State Tax System," (Summer). The West Virginia Public Affairs Reporter, 19 (3): 2-7. (Refereed)
Recent Conference Presentations and Organized Sessions
- “Property Tax, Local Sales Tax and Business Activity: A Spatial Analysis.” Western Regional Science Association (WRSA) 58th Annual Conference, Napa, CA (February 11, 2019).
- “Political Economy of Asymmetric Aging, Productivity, and Economic Growth.” Western Regional Science Association (WRSA) 58th Annual Conference, Napa, CA (February 10, 2019).
- "Political Economy of Aging and Fiscal Policy." Tianjin Forum. Tianjin, China (July 8, 2017)
- "Demographic Changes and Fiscal Policy in MENA Countries." MENA Chief Economist Office Seminar Series. Washington, D.C. (May 17, 2017)
- "Cyclicality of Public Investment in Africa." The World Bank. Washington, D.C. (November 9, 2016)
- "Political Economy of Decentralization in Arab Countries." Presented at the BRISMES Annual Conference, London School of Economics, London, UK (June 25, 2015).
- "Decentralization and Perception of Public Service Delivery in Sierra Leone." The Urban Institute Center on International Development and Governance, Washington, D.C. February 10, 2015.
- "State and Local Sales Taxes and Business Activity in the United States," with Nicholas Saxon and Jingjing Yang. Presented at the 2015 International Institute of Public Finance Congress, Dublin. Ireland (August 21, 2015); NTA 107th Annual Conference on Taxation, Santa Fe, NM. (November 13, 2014).
- "Political Economy of Asymmetric Aging, Migration and Fiscal Policy," presented at 2015 European Society for Population Economics (ESPE) Conference, Izmir, Turkey (June 20, 2015), 2014 International Institute of Public Finance Congress, Lugano, Switzerland (August 20, 2014); Institute 11th IZA Annual Migration Meeting, Bonn, Germany (May 31, 2014); and Oxford Institute of Population Ageing Seminar, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK (May 27, 2014).
- "Fiscal Decentralization and Local Borrowing in Turkish Provinces," with Dilek Uz and Serdar Yilmaz. Presented at the NTA 106th Annual Conference on Taxation, Tampa, FL. November 21, 2013.
- "The Fiscal and Economic Impact of Legalized Casino Gambling," with Mark Nichols. Presented at the NTA 106th Annual Conference on Taxation, Tampa, FL. November 23, 2013.
- "Political Economy of Decentralization in Arab Countries," presented at the ERF Workshop "Political Economy of Transformation in the ERF Region." Tunis, Tunisia, October 27, 2013.
- "Centralized Government Structure in the Middle East and North Africa Region from a Historical Perspective." Colonial Heritage in the Middle East and the Maghreb: the Shaping of Hopes and Perspectives, Mansfield College, Oxford, June 25, 2013.
- "Demographic Divide and Labor Migration in the Euro-Mediterranean Region." Bilgi University MENA Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, June 21, 2013.
- "Demographic Deficit, Transition and Migration in the Mediterranean Region: Political Economy and Fiscal Considerations." Keynote Speech at the Second Workshop on Economics of the Mediterranean and the Euromediterranean Process, organized jointly by the Center for Research on the Economies of the Mediterranean (CREMed), and the European Institute, London School of Economics. Barcelona, Spain, June 22, 2011.
- "Decentralization, Conflict and Essential Service Delivery: The Viable Options in the Middle East." United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (UNESCWA) Expert Group Meeting Governance and Conflict Relapse, Beirut, Lebanon, May 31, 2011.
- Ph.D. in Economics, Maxwell School, Syracuse University, (1996 to 2001). Ph.D. awarded 6/29/2001.
- Dissertation Committee: Douglas J. Holtz-Eakin (Chair), Mary E. Lovely, Donald H. Dutkowsky, Gary V. Engelhardt, Stacy Dickert-Conlin
- Research Fields: public finance (particularly tax policy), regional economics, and economics of population and demography
- M.A. in Economics, Boston University, Boston, MA, U.S.A., 1994
- B.A., in Economics, Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey, 1993