Dr. Pamela Payne comes to the faculty at University of Nevada, Reno from Ogden, Utah. Dr. Payne is an assistant professor in Human Development & Family Science and Cooperative Extension. After earning a bachelor's degree in psychology from the University of Arizona in 2001, she went on to receive a Master's Degree in counseling psychology from Pepperdine University. While working on her Master's degree, she worked in probation with juvenile male felons in Southern California where she became fascinated by the impact of family on future behavior. Following completion of her Master's degree, she pursued a Ph.D. in Family & Consumer Sciences from the University of Arizona. After the completion of her dissertation focused on the integration and utilization of spiritual and religious beliefs in marital formation, she worked in Cooperative Extension at the University of Arizona before joining the faculty at Weber State University in 2012.
Dr. Payne's research interests are broadly defined as much of her work focuses on the needs of the community she is living in. She has done research on various aspects of romantic relationships (e.g., sexuality, communication, relationship formation and maintenance), parenting (e.g., social support, parenting behaviors), youth (e.g., school achievement & success) and areas of community engagement and extension. Dr. Payne has published in the Journal of Extension, Journal of Sex Research, Journal of Human Sciences and Extension, Journal of Marriage and Family Review and others.
Dr. Payne also loves to teach college courses. She has taught over 75 sections of 20 different courses at multiple universities. She has taught courses on parenting, romantic relationships, professional development (e.g., job searching, resume, cover letters, interviewing), internship/practicum/field experience, life-span development, human sexuality, understanding military families, among others. She loves getting to know students, helping them meet their goals and find their passions in working with families.
Dr. Payne is excited to be at University and is looking forward to working with students, faculty and the community in her roles in HDFS and Cooperative Extension! Her current projects include work with 4-H, Youth Horticulture, Marriage and Relationship Education and other areas where Extension and HDFS intersect.
Education and certifications
- 2014 Certified Family Life Educator Full Certificate (renewed 2019)
- 2010 Ph.D. Family Studies and Human Development, University of Arizona
- 2003 M.A. Psychology, Pepperdine University
- 2001 B.A. Psychology, University of Arizona
2018-present University of Nevada, Reno
- Assistant Professor, Human Development and Family Studies
- Assistant Professor, Extension
2012–2018 Weber State University
- Assistant Professor, Child and Family Studies
2011-2012 University of Arizona
- Lecturer and Program Coordinator for Family and Consumer Sciences
2011-2012 University of Arizona
- Interim Program Coordinator for Veteran Education and Transition Services (VETS), Student Affairs
2010–2011 University of Arizona
- Research and Program Specialist, Norton School of Family and Consumer Sciences/Cooperative Extension
(Undergraduate student italicized, ** Master students, *** Doctoral student coauthors)
Intimate Partner Violence
- 2021-2023 ($1,000,000) (November 2021) to Clark County Commissioner for DVHRT proposal to mitigate increase in DV since pandemic. $9.9 million requested for 5-years. Primary PI: Pamela B. Payne and Eric Killian.
- 2021-2022 Funded (4/2021; $173,208.98) to Attorney General Ford Services-Training-Officers-Prosecutor (STOP) and Sexual Assault Services Program (SASP) grant for High-Risk Team to Combat Domestic Violence. Funding period 7/1/2021-12/31/2022. AWD: 2021-VAWA-57
- 2020–2024 Established no cost contract with the NV Attorney General Office and Department of Health & Human Services to be the contracted evaluator overseeing Domestic Violence Batterer’s training programs approved by the state of NV. Contract is set for four years from approval and renewable at the conclusion.
- Baker-Tingey, J., & Payne, P.B. (In Review). Strengthening Families Affected by Intimate Partner Violence: A Pilot Evaluation of a Rural Extension Program. Journal of Human Sciences & Extension
- Payne, P.B., Mitchell, S.N., Lopez, C.**, DeCount, T., Shrout, M.R., Russell, K., Weigel, D., Evans, W., & Weiser, D. (In Review). Young Adults’ Perceptions of Morality Based Messages from Parents About Sex: An exploratory study. Family Relations
- Payne, P.B., Brower, N., & Jewkes, M. (2019). Expanding and replicating a Marriage Celebration: Impacts of short-duration Relationship Marriage Education events. The National Extension Association of Family & Consumer Sciences Journal, 14, 91-109. https://www.neafcs.org/assets/documents/journal/2019-jneafcs/2019-JNEAFCS-FINAL-Web.pdf
- Brower, N., Payne, P.B., & Simmons, M. (2019). Measuring the effectiveness of a multi-year multi-county marriage celebration: Qualitative findings. Journal of Marriage and Family Review, 55 (7), 601-618. DOI: 10.1080/01494929.2019.1589616
- Payne, P.B., Brower, N., & Lefthand, M., (2019). Outcomes of a multi-year multi-county marriage celebration. Journal of Extension, 57(1), Article 1RIB9
- Brower, N. & Payne, P.B. (2018). Lessons Learned from Organizing a Multi-County Marriage Celebration. Journal of the Human Sciences and Extension, 6 (1).
- Morgan, P., Hubler, D.S., Payne, P.B., Pomeroy, C., Gregg, D., & Homer, M. (2016). My partner’s media use: A qualitative study exploring perceptions of problems with a partner’s media use. Marriage & Family Review.
- Ridley, C.A., Ogolsky, B.G., Payne, P.B., Totenhagen, C.J., & Cate, R.M. (2008).
- Sexual expression: It’s emotional context in heterosexual, gay, and lesbian couples. The Journal of Sex Research, 45, 305-314.
Education, Evaluation and Coaching
- 2021-Present Northwest Regional Professional Development Program Evaluator. Support and collaborate with NW education professionals to disseminate their work. Compile information for report, conduct training, write report. $10,000 annually.
- 2019-Present Funded. Children Youth and Families At-Risk (CYFAR) Professional Development & Technical Assistance (PDTA) Coaching Team Member. Supervise and advise 7 CYFAR Sustainable Community Projects (SCP) grantees. 35% of annual contract.
- 2022-2025 Submitted (February 2022; $361,558.00; ID#10038086) to Spencer Foundation. “Multiple Perspectives on Open Educational Resources: Voices of Students and Educators” Primary PI: Pamela B. Payne. Co-PI’s: Nikki DiGregorio, Bethany Willis Hepp and Jorge Chavez.
- 2020-2022 FUNDED ($20,000). Anthem Blue Cross. Youth Horticulture Education Program, Career-Readiness. Primary PI: Pamela B. Payne and Tricia Braxton-Perry.
- 2020-2022 FUNDED ($50,000) United States Department of Agriculture & National Institute of Food and Agriculture Secondary-Education, Two-Year Postsecondary Education, and Agriculture in the K-12 Classroom Challenge Grants Program (SPECA). Primary PI: Pamela B. Payne, Co-PI’s: Angela O’Callaghan & Tricia Braxton-Perry. Supporting Youth Horticulture Education Programs in Nevada. Award #2020-01938. Funding period 10/1/2019 – 9/30/2022.
- Payne, P.B., & Brower, N. (In Review) Evaluating a short duration Relationship and Marriage Education (RME) event across time and format: 8 years of learning. Journal of Human Science and Extension.
- Payne, P.B., Brower, N., & Jewkes, M. (In Review). Short duration Relationship and Marriage Education (RME) during Covid-19: Outcomes and Future Directions. Journal of Extension
- Payne, P.B. & Mitchell, S.N. (In Review). Quality Family Science instruction: Perceptions and Responses of Undergraduate Students. Family Science Review
- Payne, P.B., Braxton-Perry, T., Whitelsey, L., Walton, C., & O’Callaghan, A. (In Review) Transitioning Youth Gardening Programs to Online Formats and Evaluations: Lessons Learned as a Result of COVID-19. Journal of Extension
- Payne, P.B. (2022). Preparing Family Science professionals: A professional development assignment cluster. Family Science Review: Special Issue Assessment, 25 (2). 2-18.
- Williams, M. & Payne, P.B. (2021). Engaging undergraduates in
co-curricular community-based research: Strategies for success. Journal of Community Engagement and Higher Education, 13 (3), 1-10.
- Payne, P.B., & Hubler, D.S. (2017) Learning beyond the Classroom: Engaging Family Science Students in Community-Based Learning using Speed Networking. Journal of Family & Consumer Sciences, 109 (2).
- Payne, P.B. & McDonald, D. (2015). Common evaluation tools across
- Multi-state programs: A study of parenting education and youth engagement programs in children, youth and families at-risk. Journal of Extension [On-line], 53 (3). Article 3FEA5.
- Taylor, A.R., Payne, P.B., & Arizaga-Marron, A. (2015) Family Science as a Pathway to higher education attainment for rural, Latina/o students: Lessons from a pilot distance degree program. Family Science Review, 20 (2).
- Payne, P.B., & McDonald, D.A. (2014). The importance of understanding dosage when
- evaluating parenting programs: Lessons from a pilot study. Journal of Human Sciences and Extension, 2 (2).
- Schvaneveldt, P.L., Payne, P.B., Hubler, D., & Merrill, C.D. (2013). Undergraduate
- Competencies in Family Science: An Exploratory Study, Family Science Review, 18 (2).
- Payne, P.B. & McDonald, D. (2012). Using Common Evaluation Instruments across Multi- State Community Programs: A Pilot Study. Journal of Extension [On-line], 50, (4). Article RIB4.
- HDFS 436/636 Family Interactions
- HDFS 401/601/701 Independent Research
- HDFS 400 Military Families
- HDFS 201 Human Development
- 2022 University of Nevada Reno Extension “Award of Excellence” Academic Faculty Award winner, University of Nevada, Reno
- 2020 Judith A. Bible Teaching Award, University of Nevada, Reno College of Education Nominee
- 2020 Recipient John & Doris Norton School of Family & Consumer Sciences Council of Alumni and Friends Emerging Professional Award. The University of Arizona, Tucson.
- 2019 Judith A. Bible Teaching Award, University of Nevada Reno College of Education Nominee
College of Education and Human Development
- 2020-present Awards and Recognition Committee Chair
- 2018–present Awards and Recognition Committee Member
College of Agriculture, Biotechnology & Natural Resources/Cooperative Extension
- 2021 Extension Annual Conference Breakout Subcommittee
- 2020–present Extension Annual Conference Committee
- 2022-present: Status of Women Committee
- 2022–present: Work, Life, Family Committee
- 2020–present: Sexual Assault Hearing Board
- 2019–2021: Service-Learning Advisory Committee
- 2019–present: Queer & LGBT Advocacy Board (QLAB) Committee Member
Community and state based service
- 2022-present: Policy Subcommittee member, Strategic Leadership Team Member, Nevada Afterschool Alliance (https://www.nevadaafterschool.org)
- 2022-present: Strategic Leadership Team Member, Nevada Afterschool Alliance (https://www.nevadaafterschool.org)
- 2022-present: Services and Training Subcommittee for the Attorney General Aaron Ford
- 2022 Women’s Sustainable Recovery Coalition
- 2021 Interview Panel for Washoe County School District (WCSD) Sexuality, Health, and Responsibility Education (SHARE) Advisory Board: Parent Members
- 2021 Reviewer for Attorney General Ford STOP grant proposals
- 2019 Interview Panel for Washoe County School District (WCSD) Sexuality, Health, and Responsibility Education (SHARE) Advisory Board: Parent & Community Health Members
National Council on Family Relations
- 2022-2025 National Council on Family Relations (NCFR) Religion, Spirituality & Family Life Section Past Chair
- 2019-2022 National Council on Family Relations (NCFR) Religion, Spirituality & Family Life Section Chair
Family Science Association
- 2017–2019 Past President, Family Science Association
- 2015–2017 President, Family Science Association
Selected Journal, Conference, Book, and Foundation Reviewing Service
- 2022: Reviewer, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Reviewer for Health Policy Research Scholars program, Princeton, NJ
- 2021–present: Editorial Board, Marriage and Family Review
- 2020–present: Reviewer, Journal of Youth Development
- 2018-present: Reviewer, Psychology and Sexuality
- 2017–present: Reviewer, Journal of Child and Family Studies
- 2017–present Reviewer, International Quarterly of Community Health Education
- 2017–present: Reviewer, Journal of Adult Development
- 2016–present: Reviewer, Journal of Social and Personal Relationships