College of Education and Human Development Graduate Assistantship

The College of Education & Human Development has a limited number of Graduate Assistantships for full-time students admitted to masters or doctoral programs.

Application Deadline: February 1st for Fall semester and September 1st for Spring semester (if additional GAs are needed)

A Graduate Assistant (GA) is a graduate student who is hired as an employee of the college. The GA may teach a course, supervise lower-level students in internships or field experiences, or assist faculty with their teaching and related research. GAs are assigned to their responsibilities each semester, depending on experience and faculty or college needs. GAs are required to work 10-20 hours per week. In return, they receive a tuition fee waiver for a maximum of 9 credits as well as a monthly stipend.

For more information visit the Graduate School website.

Minimum eligibility

To be eligible for an assistantship, students must be admitted to a degree-granting program and be in good academic standing. The student must have an overall GPA of at least 3.0 and must be continuously enrolled in at least 6 graduate-level credits (600-700) throughout the duration of the assistantship (upon approval of the Graduate Dean, English Bridge Course credits may be used to help satisfy the enrollment requirements.) A student enrolled in a prescribed program is ineligible for a teaching or research assistantship. These positions are offered through various departments and are paid by grants or state funds. Students interested in these positions must contact the department for specific requirements.

To be considered full-time for federal financial aid purposes, all graduate students, including those on assistantships, must be enrolled in nine (9) graduate credits, to be considered part-time for financial aid reporting purposes you must be enrolled in five (5) graduate credits. For those graduate students who are required to take Intensive English Language Center Bridge Courses, these courses can be considered part of full registration upon approval by the Dean of the Graduate School but these courses will not count for Federal Financial Aid purposes.

College Applications by Department

Educational Studies


  • Ph.D. in Education: Educational Leadership
  • Ph.D. in Education: Equity, Diversity, & Language Education
  • Ph.D. in Education: Information Technology in Education
  • Ph.D. in Education: Literacy Studies
  • Master of Arts in Higher Education
  • Master of Education in Educational Leadership
  • Master of Science in Equity and Diversity in Education
  • Master of Reading Curriculum and Instruction

Apply to Educational Studies

Educator Preparation


  • Ph.D. in Education: Curriculum and Instruction
  • Ph.D. in Education: Special Education and Disability Studies
  • Ph.D. in Education: STEM Education
  • Master of Education in Elementary Education
  • Master of Science in Elementary Education
  • Master of Secondary Education
  • Master of Special Education

Apply to Educator Preparation

Human Development, Family Science and Counseling


  • Master of Arts in Counseling
  • Master of Science in Human Development and Family Science
  • Ph.D. in Education: Counselor Education and Supervision
  • Ph.D. in Education: Human Development and Family Science

Apply to Human Development, Family Science and Counseling