Internships and Careers

The Office of Clinical Experiences helps prepare educators by placing students in internships at local and out of area public schools. These hands-on experiences are vital in giving students the experience they need to succeed in the classroom.

How to Apply for Student Teaching

Congratulations on nearing the completion of your teacher education program. Let's take a look at your readiness to intern. Before you start internship, you need to submit an internship application, complete program and course requirements, obtain a substitute license, acquire professional liability coverage, satisfactorily complete Portfolio I and meet school district requirements. The Coordinator of Clinical Experiences will verify these requirements have been met and will also discuss your readiness to intern with faculty in your program and your academic advisor.

  • You MUST have a Nevada Sub. license for internship and check below for the school district in which you want to intern to see if it is a requirement of that county. Interns with extensive substitute experience often seem more confident in their classroom management and delivery of instruction. Substitute licenses are issued by the state like your driver's license. You then apply for a substitute "job" with a school district.
  • REQUIREMENT OF YOUR PROGRAM BEFORE YOU CAN INTERN - Portfolio I must be submitted to your program that is located on the third floor: Integrated Elementary Teaching Program plus early childhood, esl, or special education; elementary (master's); secondary bachelor's and master's (includes music) the semester prior to internship. (Contact your program (NOT CAC office) for information about Portfolio I and due dates.)

Out-of-Country Placements?

All international placements must be arranged by COE's consortium contact Jenny Mahon at

Nevada School District Requirements

Important: Nevada School Districts do NOT want you to contact school personnel for a placement, so simply write your placement request on the internship application and leave the signature lines blank.

The table below is subject to change and may not be inclusive. CAC will notify you personally if something else is required. You are responsible for any costs related to school district requirements. For those who want to intern, you need a sub-license.