Preparing to take a Respondus quiz
Installing LockDown Browser
You will need to install and use LockDown Browser in order to take any exam that requires its use.
To begin the installation, please go to the Respondus LockDown Browser Installation page. Click on the Install Now button, then follow the onscreen instructions to complete the install.
Once you have installed LockDown Browser, you will need to close out of the web browser you were using, and open the LockDown Browser in order to access your test.
Note: This information is for only for quizzes in WebCampus. If you are using Pearson MyLab, please visit the Taking a quiz/exam using LockDown Browser in Pearson MyLab page.
Pre-exam system check
To ensure LockDown Browser and the webcam (if your exam also requires Respondus Monitor) are set up properly, do the following:
- Start LockDown Browser, log into WebCampus, and select this course.
- Locate and select the Help Center button on the LockDown Browser toolbar.
- Run the Webcam Check and, if necessary, resolve any issues.
- Run the System & Network Check. If a problem is indicated, see if a solution is provided in the Knowledge Base. Troubleshooting information can also be emailed to our institution's help desk.
- Exit the Help Center and exit LockDown Browser.
Setting up your testing environment
When taking an online exam that requires LockDown Browser and Monitor, remember the following guidelines:
- Make sure you're in a location where you won't be interrupted
- Turn off all other devices (e.g., tablets, phones, second computers) and place them outside of your reach
- Clear your desk of all external materials not permitted (e.g., books, papers, other devices)
- Before starting the test, know how much time is available for it, and that you've allotted sufficient time to complete it
- Remain at your computer for the duration of the test
- If the computer or networking environment is different than what was used previously with the Webcam Check and System & Network Check in LockDown Browser, run the checks again prior to starting the test
To produce a good webcam video, do the following:
- Avoid wearing baseball caps or hats with brims
- Ensure your computer or tablet is on a firm surface (a desk or table). Do NOT use the computer on your lap, a bed, or other surface where the device (or you) are likely to move
- If using a built-in webcam, avoid tilting the screen after the webcam setup is complete
- Take the exam in a well-lit room and avoid backlighting, such as sitting with your back to a window
Remember that LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted.