Advising (courses & careers)
For help, email our College's Student Center. We'll return emails 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
For any general questions or if you were unable to schedule an appointment online, please call our front desk at (775) 784-1634 between 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
Already in contact with an academic advisor? To continue working with that advisor, contact them directly.
Undergraduate academic advising in the College is an integral part of student academic success. At the CABNR Student Center, we believe in fostering a conducive environment for academic success and creating a culture of inclusion and acceptance.
In the advisee and advisor relationship:
- We expect students to be accountable for your decisions and education
- We expect students to frequently check electronic resources via MyNevada and Navigate
- We take a holistic approach, meaning we consider a student's lifestyle, study habits, health and other characteristics when discussing a student’s educational plan and goals
- We work alongside students to develop an academic plan
- Our goal is to empower students to build the skills needed to be academically successful while at the University and in the real world
What is academic advising?
Academic advising is a process of information exchange that empowers students to realize their maximum educational potential. The advising process is student-centered and will result in the student gaining a clearer understanding of himself/herself, and the experience of higher education (Crockett, 1987).
Mandatory advising policy
Advising is mandatory for all freshmen, sophomores and first-semester juniors, as well as new transfer students. Mandatory advising means that students must meet with an advisor before they will be able to register for upcoming semester’s classes. We suggest scheduling an appointment at least 1-3 weeks prior to the registration date and time.
All newly admitted freshmen are also required to attend CABNRFIT.
If you are a student in the following major please log into NAVIGATE to schedule your advising appointment, please select the College of Agriculture, Biotechnology and Natural Resources as your location.
- Agricultural Science
- Agricultural Science and Economics Dual Degree
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Environmental Science
- Forest Management & Ecology
- Nevada Teach Secondary Education & Agricultural Science
- Nevada Teach Secondary Education & Environmental Science
- Nutrition (both Dietetics and Nutritional Science)
- Veterinary Science
- Rangeland Ecology & Management
- Wildlife Ecology & Conservation
If you would like to learn more about our majors or declare one of these majors please call us at 775-784-1634 to schedule an advising appointment.