Short for "Freshman Intensive Transition," CABNRFIT is a one-credit academic program that takes place the week before school starts.
The goal of CABNRFIT is to assist incoming freshman transition successfully from high school to college. CABNRFIT provides a realistic orientation to the style, pace, intensity and rigor of college courses. After completing CABNRFIT, students are better prepared for their first semester of college. CABNRFIT, a subset of the University of Nevada, Reno's "NevadaFIT", is a requirement for all incoming freshmen.
At CABNRFIT you will:
- Learn study skills and life skills that will put you on a path to early academic success.
- Become familiar with the University and classroom setting.
- Explore the various academic resources and student services available to you on campus.
- Learn about career opportunities in your chosen field of study.
- Learn tips and tricks for managing your time.
- Interact with faculty in your major discipline.
What to Bring:
- Sun hat, sunscreen & sunglasses
- Snacks (non-perishable items)
- Closed-toe walking shoes that can get dirty and or wearing in the lab
- Comfortable walking shoes (lots of walking)
- Water bottle
- Notebook & daypack
- Pens or pencils for taking notes
- Laptop or tablet (required for math homework and study time)
- Allergy medicine for those with hay fever or EpiPen® if you have other severe allergies or other necessary medicine.
- If your major is Ag Science, Vet Science or Rangeland Ecology & Management please bring boots/footwear suitable for visiting a farm. Scrubs will be provided.
- If your major is Ecohydrology, Environmental Science, Forest Management & Ecology and Wildlife Ecology and Conservation please come prepared for outdoor activities.
Housing for CABNRFIT:
Housing Information: If you have submitted a housing application and secured a Residence Hall contract for Fall 2018, you may move in to your permanent assigned housing on August 18, 2018 for an additional fee of $165.25. The payment for housing is due in August. We will notify housing of your enrollment in NevadaFIT after you confirm your attendance. All eligible students will receive a housing assignment by the beginning of August. When you receive your housing assignment email, you will be directed to a page that will allow you to sign-up for a check-in time. You will need to sign up for a move-in slot between the hours of 9:00am and 4:00pm on August 18, 2018. Please contact the Housing Office at (775) 784-1113 with any questions. If you will be arriving before August 18th, you will need to arrange for your own lodging accommodations, as Residence Hall move-in for those who have secured on-campus housing will not occur until August 18, 2018. If you have not secured on-campus housing for Fall 2018, you are responsible for securing housing accommodations for the duration of NevadaFIT. Please note that all of your meals during NevadaFIT will be provided at no additional cost, regardless of whether you live in a residence hall or not.
NOTE: Guests (family members, friends, etc.) are not allowed in residence halls rooms without the student present.
WolfCards (University's photo ID card for students) are required to access the residence hall building and room after the initial check-in; Obtain your WolfCard ID at the WolfCard Office on the first floor of the Joe Crowley Student Union, room 001. Photo identification (driver’s license, passport, etc.) is required. ID cards may only be issued to students who have registered for classes. You will be able to obtain your WolfCard the DAY AFTER YOU REGISTER FOR CLASSES.
Please contact the Housing Office at (775) 784-1113 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any additional questions.
Additional Housing notes
- If you will be arriving before August 18, 2018, you will need to arrange for your own lodging.
- Participants who have an on-campus housing contract for academic year 2018-2019, but do NOT wish to pay the additional housing fee for the CABNRFIT early move-in are responsible for arranging their own housing during CABNRFIT.
- Participants who are NOT planning to live in the residence halls during the academic year are responsible for arranging their own housing during CABNRFIT.
NevadaFIT Fee Waivers: We want to make sure the NevadaFIT experience is affordable for all students. Financial assistance to cover the course fee and/or the early move-in housing fee may be available for students with demonstrated financial need. The NevadaFIT Office will work with the Financial Aid Office to identify enrolled students with the most need, and we will contact you directly if you qualify. Please reach out to the NevadaFIT office at (775)784-1193 for more information about fee waivers.
NevadaFIT Math: For all camps other than ScienceFIT, you will participate in the math course in which you have been placed for the fall semester based on your SAT, ACT, or AP scores during NevadaFIT. If you would like to place into a higher math course, please take the Accuplacer test and submit the results to the University of Nevada, Reno no later than August 4, 2018. Visit the University of Nevada, Reno Accuplacer page for more information. Math course placement in NevadaFIT will no longer be subject to change after August 4, 2018, though it is still possible to change your fall semester math placement after this date.
Late Arrivals and Cancellation Policy: If a student who has been accepted into the NevadaFIT program is no longer able to participate, the NevadaFIT Office must be notified in writing. Please email email@example.com as soon as possible so we have time to award your spot to the next person on the waitlist. If a circumstance arises that may cause you to be late arriving to NevadaFIT, please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible for approval from the appropriate camp coordinator, and to arrange accommodations for missed material. Please make every effort to arrive to NevadaFIT on time.
NevadaFIT Cancellation Dates and Refund Information:
- July 15, 2018. Last day for accepted students to cancel admittance, and have spot awarded to next student on the waitlist.
- August 18 - August 19, 2018. "W" for withdraw assigned to course grade if attendance cancelled and fees charged.
- August 20 - August 23, 2018. Failing grade assigned to course grade if attendance cancelled and fees charged.
Parents and Guardians: Parents and guardians are invited to a special Kick-Off Ceremony and Parent/Guardian Information Session with Executive Vice President and Provost Kevin Carman scheduled for the evening of August 18, 2018 beginning at 6:00pm at Lawlor Events Center. Parents and guardians are encouraged to attend. The Provost will talk about what students will experience in NevadaFIT and how parents/guardians can help their children be successful college students. There will be ample opportunity for questions, and various representatives from campus will be in attendance. We hope to see parents and guardians there!
For information on the schedule, meals, parking, or latest updates, please visit our homepage. Please continue to check your email and the website, as we will be sending more information to you over the coming months.