Whether you are joining us for the first time or you are returning to the residence halls, we ask that you become familiar with the process for move-in, as it will look different this year.
To ensure a safe and efficient move-in experience, we’ll be spreading the arrivals of our residents out over five days: August 18 to 22, 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. each day. We sent students with a housing assignment an email in late June with the link specific to their hall to sign up for an hour check-in time. If you need this link again, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- At this time, you are unable to change your assignment unless directed to do so by our office.
- Each time slot has a limited number of spots to make sure we’re allowing for all precautions hopefully preventing the spread of COVID-19.
- Failure to sign up for a time will cause a significant delay when you arrive on campus to check-in.
What to pack
Please visit our What to Bring and What to Leave at Home page for the list of items we recommend bringing with you as you transition to your new home on campus.
Traveling to campus
Please visit our Driving to Campus page where you will find specific driving directions to each residence hall move-in location. Please note for Fall 2020, residents checking into Canyon Flats or the 7th floor of Uncommon will be directed to the Whitney Peak Hotel located a few block from campus for temporary housing until construction is completed. These students received more information directly by email.
Expectations for move-in under COVID conditions
The following expectations are in place to ensure the health and safety of ALL community members:
- Each resident will be limited to ONE personal vehicle within the unloading zone. This is limited to sedans, SUVs and pick-up trucks; large moving trucks (i.e. U-Haul or Penske box trucks) may not be accommodated within the unloading zones.
- When you arrive at the unloading zone of your residence hall, our staff will give you a parking pass (this is different from the first email you received in late June about move-in - due to COVID, we have had to update this process).
- In order to comply with social distancing measures, we need you to limit the number of friends/family who will help you move-in. We ask for only one helper per resident.
- We will not be able to have any volunteers or staff on hand to provide moving assistance.
- Due to health and safety, hand trucks and carts will not be available. We recommend you bring your own.
- In general, the moving experience tends to occur during a hot time of year; we recommend you and your helpers plan accordingly. Due to COVID, there will be no drinking fountains or public water containers, so please bring your own water.
Note: You will not be charged for the nights you live on campus from August 18-21 but are subject to early arrival charges if approved to move in prior to August 18. For more information about requesting to arrive early, please visit the housing website.
In order to comply with social distancing directives, and to best accommodate the volume of move-ins, you MUST do the following within their check-in time frame:
- Check-in at your hall during the time you signed up for.
- Move your items from the vehicle into your room as quickly as possible. If you need more than an hour, please contact us at email@example.com so we can plan accordingly in order to not cause delays for you and other residents. You can set up your room after you have unloaded your vehicle and parked it outside the unloading zone.
- Remove your vehicle from the unloading zone by the end of the one-hour check-in time frame and relocated it to a designated parking area.
Parking your vehicle after move-in
After you have done your best to move your belongings from your car to your room within an hour, we need you to move your vehicle so other residents can move in. Vehicles should park in the designated location of the University-issued permit:
Sierra Street Parking Garage
Please move to levels 3-5 to allow other residents to unload on level 1 and 2.
- Canada Hall
- Juniper Hall
- Manzanita Hall
- Nevada Living Learning Community (LLC)
- Sierra Hall
Brian Whalen Garage (top floor)
- Great Basin Hall
The Green Lot in North Campus
- Uncommon floors 3-6
Whitney Peak Hotel parking
- Canyon Flats
- Uncommon floor 7
If you do not have a University-issued parking pass, you will need to find street parking. Please note Parking Services will strictly enforce parking permits starting on the first day of class.
While residential meal plans officially start on Thursday, August 20, the university and Nevada Dining has arranged for students to be able to use their meal plans for brunch and dinner in the Den (located just East of Great Basin Hall) August 18-23.
- Brunch: 10:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- Dinner: 4:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Parents, guardians, and/or family members will be able to eat at no charge in the Den during these meals.
In addition to the Den, The Overlook will be open for dining Thursday, August 20 and Friday, August 21 from 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Students can use Meal Trades at this location in addition to cash and credit. Additional dining venues will open on August 24th. Please visit the Nevada Dining website for more information on dining venues, hours, meal plans, and meal trades.
Please be aware that social distancing and limited seating is in place at ALL dining venues.
Mail and packages
Please visit our Addresses and Phone Numbers page for details about where to send packages and where residents can pick them up.
Your roommate information can be found online by logging in to your housing portal. Our software will allow you to view the name(s) and email address(es) of your roommate(s). Please email them to exchange contact information. We highly encourage you to talk over the phone with each other as you begin to connect and make plans for setting up your room
If you are a freshman and under the age of 23, you are required to submit proof of Meningitis vaccination by visiting the Immunizations page on the University's website. If you received your vaccination prior to August 31, 2016, you will need an updated vaccination prior to move-in.
Room and Board charges will be reflected on your MyNevada account within 10 business days of being assigned, along with tuition and fees.
If for some reason you desire a room change, you may complete a Room Change Request Form after August 20, 2020, by logging into your housing portal. We will accept Room Change requests for the first two weeks of the fall semester. Requests are accommodated as spaces become available.
Meal plan changes
You may change your meal plans once from August 20, 2020, through 5 p.m., September 11, 2020, by completing the meal plan change form on your housing portal. Changes after September 11th are for meal plan increases only. To learn more about our dining program, please review our campus dining information.
We look forward to your arrival! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Residential Life, Housing, and Food Service office at (775) 784-1113.