Whether you are joining us for the first time or you are returning to the residence halls, we ask that you become familiar with the process for move-in, as it may look different year to year. For this year, based on feedback from students, their families, and based on guidance from the Center for Disease Control and the Washoe County Health District, we will implement the following process for move-in in order to:
- Allow for appropriate social distancing
- Increase student access to temporarily check out laundry carts and hand trucks to support moving
- Accommodate the ability to have volunteers to help students move in
- Provide for ease of access to elevators, stairwells, unloading zones, etc
- Create more intentional relationships by community/floor which fosters a stronger sense of belonging
Sophomore and above students NOT participating in TransferFIT
This move-in experience is for students who identify as sophomore and above, or upper division students, who are not participating in NevadaFIT or TransferFIT. More than likely, these students lived on campus last year and are returning to live on campus again; or they are new to campus and not participating in either NevadaFIT or TransferFIT.
If you identify in this category as a returning student, please check-in at your residence hall on Friday, August 20, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. While you are welcome to check-in after this time, please know there will several activities occurring around campus in which you can participate, connect with friends and meet others, and get this academic year off to a great start. Canada Hall is our only residence hall specifically for sophomore and above/upper division students, so move in for this building is Friday, August 20, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
Incoming first-year NevadaFIT students and TransferFIT students
This move-in experience is for students who are new to the university, this year will be the first time they have lived on campus, and/or any student participating in NevadaFIT or TransferFIT (residents living in the Transfer LLC or live elsewhere on campus and are opting into TransferFIT).
Please log in to your Housing Portal and verify your housing assignment. You will need your building and room number. Based on your housing assignment, your move-in date and time is listed below:
Thursday, August 12, 8 a.m.
- Great Basin Hall: Floors 4-5
- Nevada LLC: Floor 2
- HonorsFIT (all halls)
Thursday, August 12, 9:30 a.m.
- Great Basin Hall: Floor 2
- Nevada LLC: Floor 3
- First in the Pack (all halls)
- TRiO (all halls)
- NevadaFIT Mentors (all halls)
Thursday, August 12, 11 a.m.
- Great Basin Hall: Floor 3
- Nevada LLC: Floor 4
- Upward Bound (all halls)
- Gear Up (all halls)
- DRC Bridge to FIT (all halls)
- Deans Future Scholars (all halls)
Thursday, August 12, 1 p.m.
- Great Basin Hall: Floor 1
- Nevada LLC: Floor 5
Friday, August 13, 8 a.m.
- Canyon Flats: 205A-242D
- Canyon Flats: 502A-537B
- Juniper Hall: Floor 2
- Manzanita Hall: Floor 3
- Nye Hall: Floor 1
- Nye Hall: Floor 5
- Peavine Hall: Floor 5
- Sierra Hall: Floor 3
- Uncommon: Floor 3
Friday, August 13, 9:30 a.m.
- Canada Hall: Suites 51-54 (TransferFit)
- Canyon Flats: 302A-337B
- Juniper Hall: Floor 3
- Manzanita Hall: Floor 1
- Nye Hall: Floor 2
- Peavine Hall: Floor 1
- Sierra Hall: Floor 7
- Uncommon: Floor 7
Friday, August 13, 11 a.m.
- Canyon Flats: 402A-435D
- Juniper Hall: Floor 4
- Manzanita Hall: Floor 2
- Nye Hall: Floor 6
- Peavine Hall: Floor 4
- Sierra Hall: Floor 4
- Uncommon: Floor 4
Saturday, August 14, 8 a.m.
- Canyon Flats: 243A-275C
- Canyon Flats: 538A-575C
- Nye Hall: Floor 3
- Nye Hall: Floor 8
- Peavine Hall: Floor 3
- Sierra Hall: Floor 5
- Uncommon: Floor 5
Saturday, August 14, 9:30 a.m.
- Canyon Flats: 338A-375C
- Nye Hall: Floor 4
Saturday, August 14, 11 a.m.
- Canyon Flats: 437A-475C
- Nye Hall: Floor 7
- Peavine Hall: Floor 2
- Sierra Hall: Floor 6
- Uncommon: Floor 6
In order to best accommodate the volume of move-ins, you must do the following within the check-in time frame:
- Check-in at your hall during the designated date/time. If you are unable to do so, you are welcome to move in at the times below. (Volunteers may be limited.) You don't need to let our office know when you will be arriving:
- Thursday, August 12, 1-2 p.m.
- Friday, August 13, 1-2 p.m.
- Saturday, August 14, 1-2 p.m.
- Sunday, August 15, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
- At check-in, you will need to demonstrate you have received the COVID-19 vaccine more than 14 days in advance of your move-in day OR a COVID-negative test completed within 72 hours of your arrival. Without either of these, you will need to quarantine in a different room for 10 days until you can move into your assigned room. Guests do not need to provide this documentation.
- Move your items from the vehicle into your room as quickly as possible. You can set up your room after you have unloaded your vehicle and parked it outside the unloading zone.
- Remove your vehicle from the unloading zone by the end of the one-hour check-in time frame and relocated it to a designated parking area.
Important details about move-in
- Failure to arrive during your alloted time will likely cause delays when you arrive on campus to check-in.
- Hand trucks and carts will be available but based on your own health/safety, we recommend you bring your own if you don't feel comfortable using community equipment. These items are also in short supply, so bringing your own may help expedite your move-in.
- Family and friends are welcome to help you move-in, but please be aware that more people may cause slower access to stairwells and elevators.
- We are trying to coordinate volunteers who will provide assistance during move-in dates/times, but please don't count on this support.
- Move-in tends to occur during a hot time of year. We recommend you and your helpers plan accordingly (weather and moving-appropriate clothing, bringing water, etc.).
- It is critical all incoming students have checked in by noon on Sunday, August 15, as NevadaFit starts that afternoon.
- For information about requesting to arrive early, please visit the housing website.
Preparing for move-in day and welcome week
Directions to campus
Please visit our driving to campus page where you will find specific driving directions to each residence hall move-in location.
Parking your vehicle after move-in
After you have done your best to move your belongings from your car to your room within an hour, we need you to move your vehicle so other residents can move in. Vehicles should park in the designated location of the University-issued permit:
Sierra Street Parking Garage
Please move to levels 3-5 to allow other residents to unload on level 1 and 2.
- Canada Hall
- Juniper Hall
- Manzanita Hall
- Nevada Living Learning Community (LLC)
- Peavine Hall
- Sierra Hall
Brian Whalen Garage (top floor)
- Great Basin Hall
The Green Lot in North Campus
Circus Circus Parking Garage
- Canyon Flats
If you do not have a University-issued parking pass, you will need to find street parking. Please note Parking Services will strictly enforce parking permits starting on the first day of class.
Dining during move-in and NevadaFIT
Residential meal plans officially start Friday, August 20. However residents with a Fall meal plan will be able to use their meal plans for brunch and dinner in the Den (located just East of Great Basin Hall) August 12-15; and there is a separate charge for meals during NevadaFit.
Anticipated hours (to be confirmed by August 1)
- Brunch: 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
- Dinner: 4:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
Additional dining venues will open on August 23rd. Please visit the Nevada Dining website for more information on dining venues, hours, meal plans, and meal trades.
Meal plan changes
You may change your meal plans once from August 23, 2021, through 5 p.m., September 10, 2021, by completing the meal plan change form on your housing portal. Changes after September 10th are for meal plan increases only. To learn more about our dining program, please review our campus dining information.
- If you are a freshman and under the age of 23, you are required to submit proof of Meningitis vaccination by visiting the Immunizations page on the University's website. If you received your vaccination prior to August 31, 2016, you will need an updated vaccination prior to move-in.
- If there are any requirements and/or restrictions related to a COVID-19 vaccine, this information will be shared by email with residents (and this site will be updated). To date, the only requirements/restrictions in place is the need for residents to demonstrate they have received the vaccine over 14 days prior to move-in OR they have a COVID-negative test received within 72 hours prior to arrival.
What to pack
Please visit our What to bring and what to leave at home page for the list of items we recommend bringing with you as you transition to your new home on campus.
Mail and packages
Please visit our addresses and phone numbers page for details about where to send packages and where residents can pick them up.
Your roommate information can be found online by logging in to your housing portal. Our software will allow you to view the name(s) and email address(es) of your roommate(s). Please email them to exchange contact information. We highly encourage you to connect prior to move-in and make plans for setting up your room.
Room and Board charges will be reflected on your MyNevada account in mid-July or within 10 business days of being assigned, along with tuition and fees.
If for some reason you desire a room change, you may complete a Room Change Request Form by logging into your housing portal and following the application timeline. We will accept room change requests for the first two weeks of the fall semester. Requests are accommodated as spaces become available.