Winter break housing
While we close all the residence halls over Winter Break (December 22, 2022–January 20, 2023), we have limited housing options for students with extenuating circumstances requiring you to continue living on campus. With many of our staff members returning to their homes over the break, we do not have the capacity to staff all residence hall front desks while providing the level of on-call staffing and customer service that you have come to expect. Because of this dynamic, we are balancing the tension of providing a safe environment in the fewest locations possible while recognizing the strength and safety in numbers.
Apply for Winter Break/Wintermester housing
If you need housing over Winter Break and/or Wintermester (December 22, 2022–January 20, 2023), please complete the Winter Break application (available on November 1) through your Housing Portal by 11:59 p.m. Sunday, December 4.
Please know that due to the above reason, we need to consolidate residents into quadruple occupancy rooms in Sierra Hall (bathroom in the room) with overflow rooms in Juniper Hall (community bathroom by sex/gender). Please note the ability to relocate students is addressed in your license agreement. Sierra Hall (and possibly Juniper, if this building is needed) residents will remain in their assigned room and will not need to relocate. Students will have access to a service desk 24/7 and Residential Life staff to oversee building and safety protocols.
The following information is critical for you to know related to consolidated housing during this extended break period:
- You will receive your housing assignment on or around Friday, December 9
- Students who apply for break housing after December 4 will be waitlisted and may not be able to be accommodated.
- We need you to relocate to your temporary Winter Break housing assignment starting Wednesday, December 21 (after your finals have concluded), with all moving complete by 11 a.m. Thursday, December 22.
- While YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE ALL BELONGINGS from your room to the temporary room, we recommend taking essentials and any materials you need for your courses with you.
- Please know the housing charge for this entire time frame is $575, which will be assessed to your account in early December and due prior to December 22. There is no pro-rated amount; if you are staying for any/all of this time frame (December 22-January 20), the $575 is applicable.
- Break housing payment is due in full by December 15. Failing to pay this amount by the deadline may result in your application being terminated and you no longer being eligible for break housing.
- The deadline to cancel your break housing application for a full refund is December 15. If you cancel after this deadline, you are still financially responsible for the full break housing payment, as stated in the license agreement located in the Winter Break/Wintermester housing application.
- Winter Break housing ends Friday, January 20. We need you to relocate back to your academic year assignment on Friday, December 20 from 8:00 a.m. to Noon, with your move completed by Noon.
Dining on campus
At present, the following schedule reflect dining options during Winter Break, but please visit the Joe Crowley Student Union Hours of Operation or Nevada Dining for more timely information:
- Wednesday, December 21 (these times are all tentative, solidified by December 1)
- Lunch in Pack Place: Last meal served for the semester. 10:30 a.m.–1 p.m.
- Bytes: closes at 3 p.m.
- CreATE: closes at 3 p.m.
- Habit Burger: closes at 7 p.m. (note, this is the only location open for dinner this day; FoodBucks and credit/debit can be used)
- Overlook: closes at 4 p.m.
- Panera: closes at 5 p.m.
- Sierra Street Subs: closes at 3 p.m.
- Thursday, December 22-Thursday, January 19: Limited dining options/hours. Please visit the Joe Crowley Student Union Hours of Operation or Nevada Dining for more details.
- Friday, January 20 and Saturday, January 21: Students who arrive these days can use FoodBucks at select dining locations (reminder, use of FoodBucks at most dining locations yields a 10% discount at point of sale)
- Sunday, January 22: The first meal of the spring semester will be brunch in Pack Place.
- All other dining venues will reopen Monday, January 23.
- You may change your meal plan for spring semester one time from January 23 to February 4. This can be done online through your housing portal. Only meal plan increases will be accepted after February 4.