Winter break housing
While most students return home during winter break from December 21, 2023, to January 19, 2024, limited on-campus housing is available for an extra fee to those in need.
Applications for winter break and/or Wintermester housing open on November 1 and close at 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, December 3.
Housing assignments, terms and fees
During winter break, housing options are more limited for students with special circumstances that necessitate staying on campus. As many of our student staff members will also be away during this time, we won't be able to fully staff all residence hall front desks or maintain our standard level of on-call support and customer service.
This situation has led us to carefully balance the challenge of ensuring a safe environment in a reduced number of locations, acknowledging the added security that comes with numbers.
Due to the aforementioned staffing challenges, we must consolidate residents into quadruple occupancy rooms in Sierra Hall (with in-room bathrooms) and potentially utilize overflow rooms in a secondary building TBD if necessary. Please be aware that the possibility of relocating students is covered in your license agreement, though we want to clarify that Sierra Hall residents will remain in their originally assigned rooms and won't need to relocate.
These temporary, consolidated housing assignments over winter break ensure students will have continuous access to a 24/7 service desk and dedicated Residential Life staff to ensure building and safety protocols are maintained.
The following information is critical for you to know related to consolidated housing during this extended break period:
- You will receive your housing assignment on or around Friday, December 8.
- Students who apply for break housing after December 3 will be waitlisted and may not be able to be accommodated.
- We need you to relocate to your temporary Winter Break housing assignment starting Wednesday, December 20 (after your finals have concluded), with all moving completed by 11 a.m. Thursday, December 21.
- While you do not need to remove all belongings from your room to the temporary room, we recommend taking essentials and any materials you need for your courses with you.
- Please know the housing charge for this entire time frame is $604, which will be assessed to your account in early December and due prior to December 21. There is no pro-rated amount; if you are staying for any/all of this time frame (December 21-January 19), the $604 is applicable.
- Winter break housing payment is due in full by December 15. Failing to pay this amount by the deadline may result in your application being terminated and you no longer being eligible for break housing.
- The deadline to cancel your break housing application for a full refund is December 15. If you cancel after this deadline, you are still financially responsible for the full break housing payment, as stated in the license agreement located in the winter break/Wintermester housing application.
- Winter break housing ends Friday, January 19. We need you to relocate back to your academic year assignment on Friday, January 19 from 8 a.m. to Noon, with your move completed by Noon.
Dining options on campus
- Wednesday, December 20 (these times are all tentative, solidified by December 1):
- Lunch in Pack Place: Last meal served for the semester. 10:30 a.m.–1 p.m.
- Bytes: closes at 3 p.m.
- CreATE: closes at 3 p.m.
- Habit Burger: closes at 7 p.m. (note, this is the only location open for dinner this day; FoodBucks and credit/debit can be used)
- Overlook: closes at 4 p.m.
- Panera: closes at 5 p.m.
- Sierra Street Subs: closes at 3 p.m.
- Thursday, December 21-Thursday, January 18: Limited dining options/hours. Please visit the Joe Crowley Student Union Hours of Operation or Nevada Dining for more details.
- Friday, January 19 and Saturday, January 20: Students who arrive these days can use FoodBucks at select dining locations (reminder, use of FoodBucks at most dining locations yields a 10% discount at point of sale)
- Sunday, January 21: The first meal of the spring semester will be brunch in Pack Place.
- All other dining venues will reopen Monday, January 22.
- You may change your meal plan for the spring semester one time from January 22 to February 4. This can be done online through your housing portal. Only meal plan increases will be accepted after February 4.