Winter break housing
While we close all the residence halls over Winter Break (December 15–January 14), we have limited housing options for students with extenuating circumstances requiring you to continue living on campus. With many of our staff members returning to their homes over the break, we do not have the capacity to staff all residence hall front desks 24/7 while providing the level of on-call staffing and customer service that you have come to expect. Because of this dynamic, we are balancing the tension of providing a safe environment in the fewest locations possible (recognizing the strength and safety in numbers).
Apply for winter break/winter mester housing
If you need housing over Winter Break and/or Wintermester (December 15–January 14), please complete the Winter Break application on November 15 through your Housing Portal by 11:59 p.m. Sunday, December 5.
Please know that due to the above reason, we need to consolidate residents into quadruple occupancy rooms in Sierra Hall (bathroom in the room) and double rooms in Nye Hall on the 1st floor (community bathroom by sex/gender). Please note the ability to relocate students is addressed in your license agreement. Nye Hall and Sierra Hall residents will remain in their assigned room and will not need to relocate. Students will have access to a service desk 24/7 and Residential Life staff to oversee building and safety protocols.
The following information is critical for you to know related to consolidated housing during this extended break period:
- You will receive your housing assignment on or around December 8
- Students who apply for break housing after December 5 will be waitlisted and may not be able to be accommodated.
- We need you to relocate to your temporary Winter Break housing assignment starting December 12 (after your finals have concluded) with all moving complete by 11:00 a.m. December 16.
- While do YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE ALL BELONGINGS from your room to the temporary room, we recommend taking essentials and any materials you need for your courses with you.
- Please know the housing charge for this entire time frame is $560, which will be assessed to your account in early December and due prior to December 15
- There will be limited dining options available on campus during this time frame (please visit the Joe Crowley Student Union Hours of Operation or Nevada Dining for more details).
Canyon Flats and Uncommon residents
For this year, Canyon Flats and Uncommon are considered residence halls and therefore also close for Winter Break. Please refer to the sections above regarding check-out, break housing, and January opening for more information.
Dining on campus
For the remainder of your time on campus, we wanted to share the most updated information about where you can access dining services on campus:
- Wednesday, December 15
- Lunch in the Den will be the last meal served for the semester (10:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.)
- Bytes – closes at 3:00
- Create – closes at 3:00
- Habit Burger – closes at 6:00
- Overlook – closes at 4:00
- Panera – closes at 5:00
- Sierra Street Subs – closes at 3:00
- Saturday, January 15 – the first meal of the Spring semester will be dinner in the Den and all other dining venues that were open this semester will reopen Tuesday, January 18.
- You may change your meal plan for spring semester one time from 1 to February 4. This can be done online through your housing portal. Only Meal Plan increases will be accepted after February 4.
- Please visit the Joe Crowley Student Union Hours of Operation or Nevada Dining for more details.