Petition to break the license agreement

When applying to live on campus, students sign an academic year Student Housing and Meal Plan License Agreement.   

As stated in the agreement, only the following reasons will be considered to break the license agreement, as they are considered “Qualifying Events”:

  • Resident withdraws from University for medical reasons
  • Resident is drafted or commissioned by the U.S. Armed Forces for active duty
  • Resident participates in University Study Abroad Program
  • Resident graduates in December


On-campus living is similar to living off-campus. Individuals living in apartments are still responsible for rent or those with homes must pay the mortgage. By agreeing to live on campus for the academic year, students are responsible for the terms and conditions of the agreement. While a student's situation may have changed, Residential Life, Housing and Food Services is still committed to several expenses (facility bond payments, utilities, staffing, etc.), similar to off-campus entities like an apartment complex or bank/mortgage company. 

Petition to break the agreement

If you wish to complete a Petition to Break the License Agreement based on unforeseen extreme medical conditions or significant financial hardship, both experienced after moving into on-campus housing, please fill out the Petition to Break the Housing License Agreement

Note to students intending to petition to break the license agreement for Spring 2022: Our team will not be processing these requests until November 1 at the earliest.


If your petition is granted and you are eligible for a refund, that dollar value is credited on your student account in MyNevada. Given processing time for the petitions process, please allow up to two (2) weeks to see a housing/meal plan credit on your MyNevada account.

If you have an outstanding balance due to the University (tuition, fees, insurance, library, parking, housing, meal plan, etc.), the credit from refunded housing/meal plan charges will be applied towards any outstanding balance due in MyNevada prior to being refunded to you. If you do not have an outstanding balance, you will receive a refund via the method you used to pay housing/dining charges. For example:

  • If you paid housing/meal plan charges by credit/debit card, the refund would be issued to this bank; and it may take up to three (3) weeks to see the refund on your account depending on your bank
  • If you paid housing/meal plan charges by cash, check, or money order, it may take up to three (3) weeks for you to receive a paper check; and this will be sent to your Home/Permanent address on your MyNevada account