Spring semester residence hall closing/move-out
Residence hall checkout overview
As you may know, your license agreement runs through the time of your last exam. Outlined below are some important details that you are responsible for in order to avoid check-out problems:
- It is important that you attend the April community meeting hosted by your RA. Your meeting should occur at some point from April 24-29, 2022. If you're not sure, please contact your RA. Your RA will review closing information and instructions on removing your belongings, cleaning your unit, and returning keys/fob (if applicable).
- All residence hall students should aim to leave as soon as possible after their last final in order to minimize disturbances to other student still taking finals. The residence halls close at 11:00 a.m. on Thursday, May 12, 2022.
- The last meal served in The Den will be lunch on Wednesday, May 11, 2022. Please visit Nevada Dining Hours of Operation to see what is opening during this time frame. You can use your meal plan for meal trades at participating locations through the end of lunch on this day to plan for your dinner meal.
- Additional context - the past two years our office has offered students the ability to sign up for dinner on this day, paid for by us. However, the pick-up rate for these meals are consistently below 10%. We can no longer justify wasting this food (as we are legally unable to donate it). Thanks for your understanding and using your meal trade on this day.
- Students who are graduating or participating in the University’s commencement exercises as part of a university program taking place Thursday, May 12 through Saturday, May 14, may request to stay in the residence halls until 10 a.m. the day after their graduation ceremony. If this applies to you, you need to request an extension by emailing email@example.com so we can make sure you can still access your building. The form will be added to your Housing Portal. Request forms are due no later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 4, 2022. You may be assigned to a different room/building if necessary. In addition, you must schedule a check-out appointment with your residence hall staff 24 hours prior to your graduation ceremony.
Please review the following information regarding the residence hall checkout process.
You have two options for checking out of your residence hall room:
Option 1 - Traditional checkout
- Sign up for a check-out time with RA, at least 24 hours in advance from your check-out time.
- Remove all personal property from your room.
- All belongings must be out of the building prior to checkout.
- This also includes removal of staples, adhesives, tape on walls/windows, etc.
- Remove debris from drawers and floor. Sweep and vacuum if your building has them available at the front desk.
- All trash must be removed from the building and placed in the dumpsters outside You may obtain trash bags at the front desk. Don’t forget to remove bicycles from all bicycle storage areas.
- Failure to properly clean your room or remove your trash from the building will result charges to your student account.
- You should coordinate checkout times and cleaning of the room with your room/suitemate(s) to avoid any unexpected charges.
- Show up to your scheduled appointment time with your RA to complete your Room Condition Report and turn in your keys/fob.
Option 2 - Express checkout
- Request an Express Checkout envelope from your RA. Students who do not attend their closing floor meeting and/or have had cleanliness or damage issues in their room may be denied the Express Checkout option.
- Inform your RA of the day that you intend to complete the Express Checkout process
- Complete step 2 a-f listed under the traditional check out listed above.
- Place your key/fob (if applicable) in the envelope, then seal and sign the envelope.
- Turn the Express Checkout envelope in to the front desk of your building.
- With 24 hours, Residential Life, Housing, and Food Services staff will enter your room and reconcile the Room Condition Report from when you moved in. Applicable charges (if any) will be assessed to your MyNevada account.
For residents who need friends/family to stay over (due to travel related delays), all guests must be approved by roommates and need to be registered through the residents’ residence hall front desk. Guests are only allowed if they are vaccinated or have a COVID-negative test result received within 72 hours prior to arrival.
All residence hall rooms, bathrooms and common areas will be inspected by Residential Life staff after all students have checked out. As stated in the license agreement, students may receive additional damage/cleaning charges applied to their MyNevada accounts after these inspections. It is in students' best interests to ensure the condition of the room at check-out is the same as when they checked in to avoid any charges.
As a reminder, your meal plan ends on Wednesday at lunchtime and many dining venues on campus will discontinue service. Please check out the Nevada Dining and Joe Crowley Student Union websites for dining venue hours. Your Food Bucks (and credit/debit cards) will continue to work.
Please note for the past two years, our department has coordinated students receiving dinner on the last day of finals after the Den closed at lunchtime. Students would sign up for a meal and then pick it up at the Den anytime on Wednesday of finals. We have also funded this initiative so students would not bear the cost. The average pick-up rate of these meals has been less than 10%. Our department can no longer provide this option given the expense and tremendous waste of food. For this reason, please plan accordingly and use your meal trades to get Wednesday dinner at lunchtime if you so choose.
Students who are graduating or participating in the University’s commencement exercises as part of a university program taking place Thursday, May 12 through Saturday, May 14, may request to stay in the residence halls until 10am the day after their graduation ceremony. You must schedule your check-out appointment with your residence hall staff 24 hours prior to the graduation ceremonies. You may request your extension by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The form will be added to your Housing Portal. Extension forms are due no later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 4, 2022.