December 9, 2020
- Sponsoring/Funding Agency: NSF
- Award Amount: $274,544
- Project Title: "Low-temperature Laser Sintering and Melting of Semiconductors Through Selective Excitation of Soft Phonons"
- Principal Investigator: Yan Wang (mechanical engineering)
- Brief summary: This project aims to melt and sinter semiconductors at a reduced temperature by exploiting ultrafast laser-material interactions at the electronic and atomic levels..
November 17, 2020
- Sponsoring/Funding Agency: Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)
- Award Amount: $499,912
- Project: Storage (Dry Cask, Transportation)
- Principal Investigator: Miles Greiner (mechanical engineering)
- Brief summary: The research will develop a proof-of-concept system to measure conditions inside thick-walled used nuclear fuel canisters, and safely transmit the data to a receiver outside. This work will help assure the safety of used nuclear fuel storage and transportation..
September 29, 2020
- Sponsoring/Funding Agency: NSHE EPSCoR for a NASA project
- Award Amount: $395,891
- Project Title: "Self-adaptive Lubricants for Extreme Space Mechanism Applications"
- Principal Investigator: Pradeep Menezes (mechanical engineering)
- Brief summary: The proposed research will support NASA missions by developing a self-adaptive solid lubricant coating that can provide adequate lubrication in both cryogenic and extreme environments.