Academic Policies

Engineering math requirements

To graduate in four years, you need to be enrolled in calculus (Math 181) the fall of your freshman year.

You must be enrolled in calculus (Math 181) before you can declare a specific engineering major. If you are not ready for calculus (MATH 181) and you choose engineering, you will be classified as an undeclared engineering major.

Engineering Progression (effective Fall 2016)

Only students who are eligible to enroll in MATH 181 (as demonstrated through placement tests) may enter specific major programs within the College of Engineering. Others may enter the undeclared engineering program. Undeclared engineering students must be admissible to a specific major program within four regular semesters (fall and spring).

Because the coursework is so interdependent, students who must complete preparatory courses, e.g., MATH 96 , MATH 126 , and/or MATH 127 should plan to attend summer school prior to their freshman year.

To maintain good standing in the College of Engineering, students must:

  • Complete the following classes with a "C" or better: MATH 181, MATH 182, MATH 283, PHYS 180, PHYS 180L and PHYS 181.
    • Students may attempt each of these courses a maximum of three times (including withdrawals and audits).
  • Maintain at least a 2.0 engineering grade point average (included on the Academic Advising Report in MyNEVADA).
    • Students whose engineering grade point average falls below 2.0 are placed on program probation at the end of the fall and spring semesters.
    • Students on program probation will be required to meet with a University Advising Center advisor. Students will be allowed two regular semesters to recover to at least a 2.0 if their major grade point average improves at the end of each probationary term. Access to a second regular semester is available only when it is possible for the student to reach a 2.0 by the end of the second semester.

Students who are not eligible to progress from the undeclared engineering program to a specific engineering major after four regular semesters and/or those who do not meet the progression and major grade point average requirements above will be removed from the College of Engineering. Disqualified students will be moved into undecided status and will be required to meet with an advisor in the University Advising Center to select a new major. Students will have one semester to choose a new major.

After one year, undergraduate students who have been removed from the College of Engineering may petition to be reinstated on the basis of transcript evidence that they are now capable of meeting the College's progression standards. A petition including a letter to the committee from the petitioner, letters of support from faculty and/or advisors, medical records, transcripts from transfer institutions, etc. must be submitted to the College of Engineering Advising Center by April 1st to be reinstated for fall and by November 1st to be reinstated for spring.

Are you ready to make a world of difference?

Join the College of Engineering students, faculty and alumni who are developing the ideas, techniques and technologies that change the world.