Assigned as the first of its kind on campus, the Project Manager (PM) in the Engineering Research Office (ERO) plays a unique and specific role in the strategic vision of the College of Engineering. The PM’s goal is to alleviate the administrative burden on Principal Investigators (PI) by providing ongoing support that allows the PI and team to focus on innovative and diverse research while maintaining on-time and high-quality deliverables. The PM serves as the liaison between sub-awardees, sponsors and research team, monitors ongoing tasks for the life of the project and assists with project close-out.
To receive project management services from the ERO, the awarded project must meet the following criteria and be approved by the ERO Research Grants Coordinator in tandem with the PM. This may include, but is not limited to:
- The total project award is $750,000 or higher; or
- the total project award is less than $750,000 and includes:
- one or more institutional / organizational subcontractors; and
- unique, complex or a large number of deliverables, as required by the sponsor.
After confirmation of eligibility, the PI can expect the PM to offer a support structure that follows the principles of project management: initiation, planning, execution, monitoring and close out.
- Initial kick-off meeting for introductions between PI and PM to discuss project specifics including terms and roles/expectations
- Setup of online system for project team and PM to keep informed of project documents and tasks
- Regularly scheduled meetings or check-ins on progress of tasks, upcoming deadlines, discuss changes to scope or budget, and other action items as needed.
- Ongoing support including, but not limited to:
- Drafting of task lists / work breakdown structures
- Coordination with sub-awardees and sponsor
- Coordination with subcontractors, suppliers and consultants
- Schedule timeline, milestone and deliverables tracking
- Risk management and tracking
- Action item management and tracking
- Agenda drafting and meeting moderation
- Identify and administer changes in scope when appropriate
- Monitoring budget expenditures (including any cost share or matching funds)
- Development of financial records
- Development, review and / or submission of progress reports
- Complete or request amendments, revisions or extensions
- Development and tracking of project performance measures
- Review all documentation going to the sponsor
- Assistance with unique deliverables to the grant may be managed by request (such as newsletters, workshops, camps, etc.)
- Participate in project audits, if needed
- Coordinate with PI on recommendations for follow-up work to sponsor, if applicable
- Project close-out
- Coordination with grant accountant, Sponsored Projects
- Complete and submit final reports to sponsor
Request Project Management Services
To take advantage of this support, please fill out the Project Management Request Form.