The College of Liberal Arts offers 35 bachelor degree programs within 18 major fields and several graduate degree options.
Graduates find that a liberal arts background leads to many careers options.
Students must successfully audition before the music faculty for entrance into the Bachelor of Music degree program with a major in applied music.
Students will not only learn the Arabic language but also get a broad understanding of Middle Eastern culture and politics.
- Arabic Language and Middle Eastern cultures, Minor [Undergraduate Minor]
The academic program in communication studies at the University of Nevada, Reno, emphasizes training in oral communication skills and the cognitive principles and strategies that support them.
A Criminal Justice degree can lead to a wide range of professional opportunities. Learn how you can get started.
The English department prepares students for a variety of professions that range from teaching to law, publication to management, public administration to technical writing.
The Graduate Certificate in Gender, Race and Identity provides a curriculum that complements existing graduate programs both at the M.A. and the Ph.D. levels. A Graduate Certificate Program in Gender, Race and Identity will be of benefit to students who are pursuing a graduate degree in other areas, including business, history, social work, social psychology, psychology, and sociology.
Historic preservation is a rapidly expanding field devoted to the understanding, recording, preservation, restoration or adaptive reuse of significant objects, buildings, sites, neighborhoods, districts or engineering works that reflect a portion of the nation's historic and prehistoric cultural heritage.
- Historic Preservation, Minor [Undergraduate Minor]
The International Affairs Program is an interdisciplinary major for undergraduate students, as well as a venue for various community outreach projects.
As the challenges facing our court systems mount, it is essential that the judiciary be equipped for transition. At the forefront of this movement is the highly successful Judicial Studies Program at the University of Nevada, Reno, one of only two such programs offered nationwide. The program offers a Master of Judicial Studies and a Ph.D.
The Master of Justice Management is a special degree program offering a broad selection of courses including foundation courses in justice theory and process, essentials of justice management, and courses specific to areas of concentration such as Juvenile Justice Management, Adult Justice Management, and Executive Court and Agency Administration.
The overall objective of the ROTC program is to develop in the student/cadet--through both classroom theory and practical application--the necessary traits, knowledge, proficiency and experience in order to be commissioned as an officer in the United States Army.
- Military Science, Minor [Undergraduate Minor]
Music programs within the Department are dedicated to the professional training of students in music education, applied performance, and music history. The Department's dedication to student and faculty participation in ensemble performance reflects the belief that interactive rehearsals and live performances teach music students the technology and social dynamics of being a musician. It is in ensemble playing where musical ideas are animated individually, instrument by instrument, but shared as a collaborative experience with fellow musicians and with the listening audience.
Students and faculty at the University of Nevada, Reno have the unique opportunity to study within this specialized area of research with access to cutting-edge technology, such as a new functional MRI facility—a partnership between our Center for Integrative Neuroscience and the Renown Health medical center.
PackTeach is for anybody interested in teaching secondary history, Spanish, social sciences, or English and anyone interested in adding an extra career option to their liberal arts degrees.
Philosophy is the study of disciplined thinking-the ability to read and listen critically, to address problems systematically, and to express ideas articulately.
- Ethics, Law, and Politics, Graduate Certificate [Certificate]
- Philosophy, Minor [Undergraduate Minor]
- Ethics, Law and Politics, Minor [Undergraduate Minor]
- Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy [BA]
- Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy: Ethics, Law and Politics Specialization [BA]
- Master of Arts in Philosophy [MA]
Political science is the study of power and who wields it and to what end. Political science majors study how governments interact with individuals or other governments and examine the results of those interactions.
Pursuing a psychology degree can lead to a plethora of careers. Learn how you can get started.
- Psychology, Minor [Undergraduate Minor]
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology [BA]
- Psychology - Research Specialization, Bachelor of Arts Degree [BA]
- Psychology - Behavior Analysis, Bachelor of Arts Degree [BA]
- Master of Arts in Psychology, Behavior Analysis Specialization [MA]
- Master of Arts in Psychology, Behavior Analysis Specialization - Satellite Program [MA]
- Ph.D. in Psychology [Ph.D.]
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology [Ph.D.]
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Cognitive and Brain Sciences [Ph.D.]
- Ph.D. in Psychology, Behavior Analysis [Ph.D.]
Spanish includes courses in Peninsular, Hispanic-American, and U.S. Latino culture and literature.
- Spanish Translation, Minor [Undergraduate Minor]
- Spanish Language and Society, Minor [Undergraduate Minor]
- Spanish Language, Culture & Literature, Minor [Undergraduate Minor]
- Spanish (Language and Society Specialization), B.A. [BA]
- Spanish (Literature and Culture Specialization), B.A. [BA]
- Spanish (Language and Society Specialization) and Secondary Education, B.A./B.A. in Ed. [BA]
The Theatre major is considered to be part academic discipline, part technical craft, and part art.
- Theatre, Minor [Undergraduate Minor]
- Bachelor of Arts in Theatre (Acting Specialization) [BA]
- Bachelor of Arts in Theatre (Design/Technology Specialization) [BA]
The Department of World Languages and Literatures offers a graduate program for earning a Master of Arts in World Languages and Literature.