University-supported international travel by University of Nevada, Reno employees and students is suspended
Due to the current unpredictability of the COVID-19 outbreak globally, the University is continuing to suspend all University-supported international travel and non-essential domestic travel by University students.
University-supported international travel by University of Nevada, Reno employees is restricted
NSHE (Nevada System of Higher Education) administration has released an updated international travel policy to allow vital research and international opportunities to resume on a limited basis for University employees. Request by faculty to engage international travel will be required to undergo review and obtain approval by the University International Travel Committee, University President, NSHE administration, and gubernatorial levels. The following criteria should be evaluated in a comprehensive manner when reviewing a request for international travel with no single factor being dispositive
- Whether the faculty member has been fully vaccinated for COVID-19;
- Whether the country is designated by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) to be a low- or high-risk destination;
- Whether the faculty member has obtained additional insurance to cover any COVID-19 related expenses due to illness, quarantine, or disruption in travel plans. COVID-19 Pandemic-related losses are not covered with the Universities international travel policy. The traveler or department must purchase their own international travel policy which includes coverages for COVID-19 Pandemic losses;
- Whether the travel is sponsored by or occurring in partnership with a state or federal government agency; and
- The purpose of the travel, with priority being given to research or other activities that are related to public safety, health, or time-sensitive research that cannot be postponed.
Employees requesting international travel should follow the international travel submission procedures and complete the additional online COVID-19 International Travel Questionnaire. This process may take several weeks beyond our normal 30-day processing requirements. ubmissions should be submitted well in advance of any travel plans.