Academic & Administrative Faculty Benefits at a Glance

Welcome to the University of Nevada, Reno.  The following information is a summary of the benefits you are entitled to as an employee. In the event of any difference between the terms of this summary document and the plan or governance documents, the terms of the plan or governance documents will prevail.

Group health insurance

Coverage begins on the first day of the first full month of employment. Enrollment must take place within 15 days of start date.

Mandatory retirement plans

Classified employees who have been hired into a permanent position are required to participate in the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS) of Nevada.

Voluntary retirement plans

As an employee of the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) and the State of Nevada, you are eligible to participate in two Voluntary Retirement Plans that are explained below. Each plan has a basic annual contribution limit set by IRS. In addition, if you are age 50 or older you are eligible to contribute an additional amount. The voluntary retirement plans provide for employee contributions on a pre- tax or post tax basis. There are no employer matching contributions.

Additional benefits

For further information regarding the following benefits, contact HR Shared Services Benefits at 784-6082, unless otherwise indicated.

Benefits at a glance by employee type