Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantship positions are offered through various academic departments and are paid by grants or state funds. Students interested in these positions must contact the department for specific requirements.

Graduate assistants perform a variety of duties including teaching undergraduate classes and grading papers. and conducting research in laboratories. Teaching assistants receive special teaching skills by training through the Graduate School. All graduate students holding an assistantship (teaching TA or research RA) are considered Nevada residents for tuition purposes.  Non-resident tuition is only waived for the duration of the assistantship.

Status on GIA/fee waiver

As a TA or RA, you will receive a fee waiver on your bill – but it is your responsibility to make sure that the appropriate waivers are applied. Read the below information to prevent late fees on your account.

  1. To avoid late fees do not wait for GIA/Fee waiver to post. Pay your portion and mandatory fees!
  2. Check your account on MyNEVADA for GIA/Fee Waiver adjustment to your account.
  3. When uploaded to Workday and the compensation business process is complete, GIA/Fee waivers are automatically delivered to the Cashier’s Office.
  4. Students must pay their portion of tuition and mandatory fees at Cashiers or via MyNEVADA.

See also:


To be eligible for an assistantship, students must be admitted to a degree-granting program and be in good academic standing. The student must have an overall GPA of at least 3.0 and must be continuously enrolled in at least 6 graduate level credits (600-700) throughout the duration of the assistantship (upon approval of the Graduate Dean, English Bridge Course credits may be used to help satisfy the enrollment requirements.)

A student enrolled in a prescribed program is ineligible for a teaching or research assistantship.

State-funded assistantships (TA/RA) may be held for a maximum of:

  • Three (3) years for master's degree students;
  • Five (5) years for doctoral degree students

Graduate Assistant health insurance questions and answers