International travel procedures for individual student travel
This guide is intended for students (undergraduate and graduate) who are traveling internationally independently. Please review each step and submit all completed forms within 30 days of the departure date.
*If you will be employed as a graduate research/teaching assistant and your purpose for travel is related to your work duties, please follow the instructions on the Employee/Volunteer Travel tab.*
Designate a Travel Leader. This person is someone within the department that will be the main point of contact in case of an emergency, but does not have to travel with the student. A few common examples of a travel leader would be the student's advisor, mentor or a professor. The student may not serve as their own travel leader.
Complete the required paperwork:
- International Travel Authorization Request Form (Form 1). Once completed, your form needs to be signed by the Dean or department chair prior to uploading into Workday as an attachment to the spend authorization.
- Faculty-Led International Travel Safety and Risk Assessment Form (Form 2). Once completed, your form needs to be signed by the Dean or department chair prior to uploading into Workday as an attachment to the spend authorization.
- Student Agreement for International Travel (Form 3) This form must be submitted with all pages and have a wet signature. Forms missing pages or signed electronically/digitally will be returned for completion.
- Emergency Information Sheet for International Travel (Form 4)
- Waiver, Release, and Indemnification Agreement for International Travel (Form 5) This form must be submitted with all pages and have a wet signature. Forms missing pages or signed electronically/digitally will be returned for completion.
- International Travel Health and Safety Clearance Packet (Form 6)
- International Travel Disability Accommodation Request (only complete if applicable, Form 7)
- Provide a copy of Travel Insurance.*
- Provide a copy of Passport.
*Students are required to purchase their own travel insurance through a group policy at CISI sponsored by UNR. The plan's cost is $46 per month. Please use this link to the group travel insurance policy. Graduate students whom are enrolled in the graduate school health insurance program may provide a copy of their health insurance card in lieu of purchasing the CISI group policy as proof of travel insurance.
Email all completed forms to BCNRisk@unr.edu for review.
If you wish, you may drop off all your forms at our office instead. We are located at 70 Artemisia Way across from the Down Under café on campus. Once reviewed, risk management will email you with confirmation about your trip. International travel is not considered approved until you receive an email from risk management.