Academic Policies for Current Students

Concrete Canoe casting day

Academic Resources

The Academic Central website hosts a number of key resources and forms for current students.

Engineering math requirements

To graduate in four years, you need to be enrolled in calculus (Math 181) the fall of your freshman year.

Engineering students must be enrolled in calculus (Math 181) before they can declare a specific engineering major. If you are not calculus (MATH 181) ready and you choose engineering, you will be classified as an undeclared engineering major.

Engineering Progression (effective Fall 2014)

Students must complete the first year progression requirement (see the Academic Advising Report in MyNEVADA) before enrolling in upper-division engineering coursework.

To maintain good standing in the College of Engineering, students must:

  • Complete the critical courses included in the first, second, and third year progression requirements on Academic Advising Reports in MyNEVADA (and marked with an asterisk in the program description in the catalog) with a "C" or better.
    • Students may attempt critical courses a maximum of three times (including withdrawals).
  • Maintain at least a 2.0 in the Engineering grade point average (included on the Academic Advising Report in MyNEVADA).
    • Students whose Engineering grade point average falls below 2.0 are placed on program probation at the end of the fall and spring semesters.
    • Students on program probation will be allowed two regular semesters to recover to at least a 2.0 if their major grade point average improves at the end of each probationary term (summer included). Access to a second regular semester is available only when it is possible for the student to reach a 2.0 by the end of the second semester.

Students who are not eligible to progress from the undeclared engineering program to a specific engineering major after four regular semesters and/or those who do not meet the progression and major grade point average requirements above will be removed from the College of Engineering and will be required to meet with an advisor in the University's General Advising Center to select a new major.

After one year, undergraduate students who have been removed from the College of Engineering may petition to be reinstated on the basis of transcript evidence that they are now capable of meeting the College's progression standards. A petition including a letter to the committee from the petitioner, letters of support from faculty and/or advisors, medical records, transcripts from transfer institutions, etc. must be submitted to the College Advising Office by April 1st to be reinstated for fall and by November 1st to be reinstated for spring.