Mentoring for Achievement & Knowledge in Engineering (MAKE) Nevada is a college-preparation program that strives to increase college enrollment among minority, low-income and first-generation college students.
MAKE Nevada assumes that its students have a place in college and works to explain to student participants and their parents why college is important, show different pathways to pursue a STEM field and explore educational opportunities within the University of Nevada, Reno.
What we offer
- Hands-on STEM curriculum: Students learn by doing, so we offer hands-on activities to engage students’ curiosity and passions in science.
- College preparation: We want to help prepare our students for the college application process. Opportunities include ACT prep courses, internships and scholarship information.
- Career and college exploration: University and industry guest speakers and fieldtrips to local engineering companies and the University of Nevada, Reno campus tours expose our students to various academic and career opportunities.
- Academic tutoring: Supplemental tutoring by University students promotes the success of our students outside of the program.
- STEM competitions: Through hands-on, team-building competitions, students learn about the engineering design process.
Who we serve
The MAKE Nevada program currently partners with three local schools:
- Dilworth Middle School
- Sparks Middle School
- Hug High School
Since 2013, we have held over 1,000 sessions. During that time, the program has had a 100 percent college-going rate for high school seniors, with 44 graduates.
Interested in volunteering for MAKE Nevada?
MAKE Nevada is always looking for volunteers who are in math, science, engineering and technology field to offer guidance to students. We are looking for:
- Guest speakers
- Locations for company tours
- CAD software lessons
We also need University students who can serve as MAKE tutors. We are looking for:
- Current University engineering majors
- Passion in promoting of STEM and engineering
- Availability during MAKE sessions (times vary each semester)
How to support MAKE Nevada
MAKE Nevada is supported through the generous contributions of the Mallory Foundation and Nevada Gold Mines.
MAKE Nevada needs your support. Whether you want to volunteer your time or are interested in making a financial contribution to the program, you can help us get Nevada students on the right track for college.
To learn more about how you can support our work, contact MAKE coordinator Matthew Little at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All of our K-12 outreach programs are made possible through the generous support of The Mallory Foundation and Nevada Gold Mines. We appreciate their continued support.