Leave program

Take time for you, your family, or your country.

To help you navigate your work-life needs, the University of Nevada, Reno offers leave to assist you with personal or family illness and other life events. Human Resources is available to guide you through your leave events and transitions back to the workplace.

Additional Leave Types

  • Bereavement


    May take up to 10 working days of sick leave in the event of the death of a person within the third degree of relationship.

    See Board of Regents Handbook, Title 4, Chapter 3, Section 19, number 5.

    Classified employees

    May take up to 5 working days of sick leave in the event of the death of a person within their immediate family. The appointing authority may approve additional time in instances where extended travel is involved.

    Medical Residents

    May use three sick days per contract year for bereavement leave for immediate family members. Immediate family is defined as an employee's parents, spouse, children, brothers, sisters, grandparents, great-grandparents, uncles, aunts, nephews, grandchildren, nieces, great-grandchildren, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, grandfather-in-law, grandmother-in-law, great-grandfather-in-law, great-grandmother-in-law, uncle-in-law, aunt-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, grandson-in-law, granddaughter-in-law, nephew-in-law, niece-in-law, great-grandson-in-law, great-grand-daughter-in-law, step-parents and step-children. (NAC 284.562) 

  • Civil and Judicial Leave


    Judicial leave will be granted to serve on a jury or when summoned to be a witness. The faculty member may retain any remuneration received. Additionally, a short-term leave may be authorized by the appointing authority for up to 30 calendar days without loss of salary when in connection with the faculty member's official capacity as a university employee at a trial or other court proceeding.

    See Board of Regents Handbook, Title 4, Chapter 3, Section 2.

    Classified Staff

    Civil Leave with Pay will be granted in most cases. If you serve on a jury or as a witness in court or at an administrative hearing, you will be given civil leave with pay.

    You may keep all jury or witness fees paid to you except:

    • If you are a witness in an action to which you are a party, you will not receive civil leave with pay unless it is job related. (NAC 284.582).
  • Military Leave

    Employees who are members of Federal Reserve forces or the Nevada National Guard are entitled to serve without loss of regular compensation for a period not to exceed 15 working days in any calendar year. Additional military leave may be granted for periods in excess of 15 working days.

    See Board of Regents Handbook, Title 4, Chapter 3, Section 20.

    Civil leave with pay will also be granted for the following reasons:

    • If you meet the conditions of NRS 293.463 and need time off to vote;
    • If you meet the conditions of NRS 284.357 as a volunteer firefighter, emergency medical technician, volunteer ambulance driver or attendant, or reserve member of a police department or a sheriff's department;
    • If your absence from the job is necessary to meet a disaster or emergency and it is approved by your appointing authority. (NAC 284.587)
    • If you are required to perform active military service during your employment with the State of Nevada, you will be granted a leave of absence for the period of your military service plus a period up to 90 days. If your gross State pay is more than your gross military pay, you will be eligible to receive differential pay to supplement your military pay. If you serve less than 90 days of active military service, you will be restored to your same position, at the grade and step you would have held had you not served in the military. If you serve longer than 90 days, you must be reemployed in your former position or a comparable position having seniority and pay equal to that which you would have held had you not served in the military. (NRS 281.145, NRS 284.359) 

    Medical Residents

    Military leave will be granted upon presentation of official orders at a rate of three weeks per academic year. Any period beyond that time will be leave without pay.

  • Academic Faculty Sabbatical Leave

    Any academic faculty member who has served full-time on a 10-month or 12-month contract for six or more years may be eligible for sabbatical leave. A faculty member will receive two-thirds salary for one year or full salary for six months upon approval by the appropriate committee (Sabbatical or Faculty Development Program). Sabbatical leave may be granted once every seven years. Part-time academic faculty members may be eligible for sabbatical leave on a pro-rated basis.

    Sabbatical leave is coordinated by the Office of the Provost. 

    See Board of Regents Handbook, Title 4, Chapter 3, Section 14.

  • Family Leave Medical Act (FMLA)

    The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) of 1993 entitles eligible employees to take up to 12 workweeks of unpaid, job-protected leave in a "rolling" 12-month period for specified family and medical reasons.  See Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Overview.


    Must have worked:

    • For the State of Nevada for 12 months or more (need not be continuous); and
    • At least 1,250 hours over the previous 12 months (all hours in "paid status" are used for calculation purposes).

    Qualifying Events Include:

    • The birth of a child, or to care for the newborn;
    • Placement of a child with you for adoption or foster care, or to care for a child after placement;
    • Care for a spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition; 
    • Serious health condition that makes you unable to perform your job; or
    • Qualifying exigencies related to the foreign deployment of a military member who is the employee’s spouse, child, or parent.

    My Pay and Benefits

    • FMLA leave runs concurrently with the use of eligible employee’s paid time off accruals (i.e., sick time, annual time, compensatory time).
    • FMLA leave will be unpaid if the employee is not eligible for accrued time off.
    • Group health insurance coverage will be maintained during FMLA leave. If you normally pay a portion of the premiums for coverage or have dependent coverage, these payments continue to be your responsibility.
    • Upon return from leave, you must be restored to your job, or to an equivalent job with equivalent pay, benefits, and other terms and conditions (unless you would not otherwise have been employed in such a job). (NAC 284.5231 through 284.5239, 284.558, 284.566, 284.581 through 284.5813)

    How to Apply

    FMLA requests for the University of Nevada, Reno are initiated through Workday. The leave request can be initiated through the Time Off Worklet under Request and Leave of Absence. Once the request is submitted, the required medical certification will be delivered to the employee’s Workday inbox. The medical certification is to be printed and provided to the treating medical provider. Upon completion, the medical certification is to be uploaded into the employee’s Workday inbox task for final submission. Medical certification is due within 15 days of the initial request for FMLA.

  • Classified Catastrophic Leave

    You may qualify for catastrophic leave if you or a member of your immediate family is affected by a serious illness or accident which is life threatening or which requires a lengthy convalescence or there is a death in your immediate family. For this purpose:

    • "Lengthy convalescence" means a period of disability that an attending physician expects to exceed 10 consecutive weeks.
    • "Life threatening" means a condition which is diagnosed by a physician as creating a substantial risk of death.
    • "Immediate family" has the meaning ascribed to it in NAC 284.562.

    In addition to the above requirements, an employee must have exhausted all of his or her accrued sick leave, annual leave and compensatory time, and the employee must receive approval from his or her appointing authority or the Committee on Catastrophic Leave to be eligible for catastrophic leave donations. The maximum number of hours of catastrophic leave an employee can be approved to use in a calendar year is 1,040.

    As an employee of the State, you are permitted to donate up to a maximum of 120 hours of annual leave and sick leave each calendar year.

    Your sick leave balance, however, must not fall below 240 hours as a result of such donation.

    Catastrophic leave may be donated directly to an employee on approved catastrophic leave in any branch of State government or to the University of Nevada, Reno’s general pool. If leave donated exceeds the amount approved for use by the employee, it must be returned to donor.

    If you have questions regarding the approval of leave or donation of leave to an account, you should contact your personnel representative. (NRS 284.362 through 284.3629 and NAC 284.575 through 284.577)

    The University of Nevada, Reno campus has established catastrophic leave general procedures for their employees.

Leave of Absence

Administrative Leave with Pay

Classified Staff

An appointing authority may grant administrative leave with pay to employees:

  • To relieve them of duties during the active investigation of a suspected criminal violation or an alleged wrongdoing.
  • When the appointing authority initiates the leave, not to exceed 30 days, in order to obtain the results of an examination concerning the employee's ability to perform the essential functions of his position.
  • To remove him or her from the work environment, not to exceed 30 days, when he or she has committed an act of violence or threatened to commit an act of violence.
  • For up to 2 hours to donate blood.
  • To relieve them of duties until the appointing authority receives the results of a screening test for alcohol or drugs. (NRS 284.4065)

An appointing authority or the Department of Personnel may grant administrative leave with pay to an employee for:

  • Participation in, or attendance at, activities which are directly or indirectly related to the employee's job or employment with the State, but which do not require participation or attendance in an official capacity as a State employee.
  • Closure of office or work site caused by a natural disaster or other similar adverse condition when the employee is scheduled and expected to be at work.
  • Appearance as an aggrieved employee or a witness at a hearing of the Employee-Management Committee.
  • Appearance as an appellant or a witness at a hearing to determine reasonableness of dismissal, demotion or suspension. (NRS 284.390)
  • Appearance to provide testimony at a meeting of the Personnel Commission. 

An appointing authority shall grant administrative leave with pay to an employee for:

  • The initial appointment and one follow-up visit to receive counseling through the Employee Assistance Program.
  • Attendance at a health fair authorized by the board of the Public Employees' Benefits Program.
  • Serving as a representative of State employees on a statutorily created board or commission.
  • Up to eight hours to prepare for a hearing regarding the employee's suspension, demotion or dismissal. (NAC 284.589)

Medical Residents

Residents are allowed up to five days for administrative leave each academic year. This leave is to be used for educational purposes such as attending conferences, presenting at scientific meetings or other educational activities approved by the program director. Each program must have a departmental policy that articulates what constitutes an educational activity and describes when this time may be used.

This time will not be allowed to roll over from one academic year to the next.

Leave of Absence without Pay

Classified Staff

A leave of absence without pay may be approved for one year by the appointing authority for any satisfactory reason. The Personnel Commission, upon recommendation of the appointing authority, may grant a leave of absence without pay in excess of one year for purposes deemed beneficial to the public service. (NAC 284.578)

Absences without the benefit of a formal leave status are normally considered unauthorized and may be subject to disciplinary action. There are certain formal leave statuses that will authorize an employee to be away from work without leave accruals such as leave under the Family Medical Leave Act and Military Leave.

Being in "Leave without Pay" status affects an employee's pay and benefits.


Faculty leave of absence without salary, for periods up to 12 months, may be granted by the President to faculty who have been employed by the System for one year or more. Requests for leave of absence without salary for more than 12 months must be approved by the Board of Regents.

If an academic or administrative faculty member is absent from work without authorized leave, as defined in the BOR Handbook Title 4, Chapter 3, Section 10, the absence must be charged as unauthorized leave without pay. Unauthorized leave may be grounds for disciplinary action.

Being in "Leave without Pay" status affects an employee's pay and benefits.

Child-Rearing Leave is a form of unpaid leave and must have approval of the President.

See Board of Regents Handbook, Title 4, Chapter 3, Section 13

Medical Residents

The Dean may grant leaves of absence, at his or her discretion, for periods of short duration. Such request must come from the Program Director and the Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education and state his or her concurrence prior to sending the subject request to the Dean.

Arrangements for the premiums of health and dental insurance and all other University obligations are the responsibility of the resident during these leave periods and must be made through the individual department and/or the Office of Graduate Medical Education. Insurance premiums are charged at full institutional cost to those working fewer than fifteen calendar days per month.

Leave of absence without pay may, at the discretion of the Program Director with approval from the Dean, be extended up to a maximum of 12 months. This must be documented in writing with copies to the Office of Graduate Medical Education.

Make up time for purposes of board eligibility is determined by the specific policy of each specialty board. Contact the Program Director for specific requirements for the specialty in question.

For information on the Americans With Disabilities Act please contact the Equal Opportunity & Title IX office. For information on voluntary short- term disability plans or long term disability, please see our Voluntary Benefits page.

Accessibility statement

We are committed to the accessibility of all content hosted on our servers. This page contains links to one or more third-party websites. If you experience any issues accessing linked third-party content, please contact our office or your department for assistance.