2022 competition details & guidelines
Open to all current full-time undergraduate and graduate students with majors in the College of Science. Open to individuals and teams.
Choose a Theme
- Live a Life of Discovery
- The Science of Everyday Life
- Making Science Simple; the Importance of Science Communication
- Breaking Barriers: Diversity in Science
- Science Saves the World
- The registration deadline is Wednesday, November 30, 2022
- The video submission deadline is Monday, December 5, 2022. Once you register, the team lead will be invited to join a shared NevadaBox folder where your team will upload your video before the deadline. Please name your video with the team leader's last and first name as well as the title of your video (ex: LastFirst-WeLoveScience.mp4).
Reward: Fame and prize money!
Students enrolled across all sections of SCI 110 serve as judges for the competition. This viewing and ranking of videos will serve as the final exam for all sections of SCI 110. This year the viewing and ranking of videos will occur via Zoom. To qualify for judging, all videos must adhere to the video guidelines outlined below.
Videos will be judged during the SCI 110 Final Exam (Required for all sections of SCI 110, students view and rank submitted videos) on December 16, 2022.
Students can participate as teams, but the monetary prize for the three winning videos will be disbursed to the student identified as the team lead.
- 1st Place: $400
- 2nd Place: $300
- 3rd Place: $200
All videos must adhere to the following guidelines to be eligible for the competition and judging. Visit the College of Science Youtube channel to view previous video submissions.
- Video length must be no less than 1 minute and no more than 2 minutes long (including title and credits, if applicable).
- Must have a title and include at least one clear visual or audio mention of the College of Science and/or Mackay School of Earth Sciences and Engineering.
- Must be suitable for use as promotional material for the College of Science (no profanity, violence, defamatory statements, nudity; no invading the privacy rights of any person or entity).
- No copyrighted material may be used, including footage, stills, animation, and music.
- A video captions file (.srt) submitted along with your video is required.
- 1920x1080 pixel ratio preferred
Video Equipment Rentals
You can rent and use a wide variety of video equipment and editing software (and learn how to use it) at the Knowledge Center's @One. However, video shot on a smartphone are welcome.
- Audience appeal
- Depiction of the chosen theme
- Adherence to the eligibility requirements
Contact Associate Dean Melanie Duckworth with any questions about the competition, email@example.com.