ScienceFIT: August 17-22, 2019
Get the most out of your ScienceFIT experience by coming prepared. On this page, you will find all the information you need to succeed in your first week on campus as a College of Science student!
At ScienceFIT, you will:
- Get a jump start on required course content
- Attend lectures from the faculty who teach required first-year science courses
- Participate in review sessions, take exams, and exam results discussions
- Complete homework assignments
- Learn about available campus resources for success
- Become familiar with the University campus - where buildings are located, travel time, etc.
- Become familiar with the University classroom setting
- Work and study in groups with your peers
- Interact with faculty from your department, your academic advisors, and Pack Mentors (upperclassmen in your major)
- Become familiar with using on-line course components, technology, and resources such as WebCampus
What To Bring:
- Scientific, non-programmable calculator (for example, a TI 30)
- Laptop computer or tablet and accessories including earbuds or headphones and a power cord. If you do not have a laptop, you may rent one on a first-come-first-serve basis from the @One located in the Knowledge Center.
Housing for ScienceFIT
Housing Information: If you have submitted a housing application and secured a Residence Hall contract for Fall 2019, you may move into your permanent assigned housing on August 17, 2019 for an additional fee of $168.75. The payment for housing is due in August. We will notify housing of your enrollment in ScienceFIT after you confirm your attendance. All eligible students will receive a housing assignment by the beginning of August. When you receive your housing assignment email, you will be directed to a page that will allow you to sign-up for a check-in time. You will need to sign up for a move-in slot between the hours of 9:00am and 4:00pm on August 17, 2019. Please contact the Housing Office at (775) 784-1113 with any questions. If you will be arriving before August 17th, you will need to arrange for your own lodging accommodations, as Residence Hall move-in for those who have secured on-campus housing will not occur until August 17, 2019. If you have not secured on-campus housing for Fall 2019, you are responsible for securing housing accommodations for the duration of ScienceFIT. Please note that all of your meals during ScienceFIT will be provided at no additional cost, regardless of whether you live in a residence hall or not.
Additional Housing notes
- If you will be arriving before August 17, 2019, you will need to arrange for your own lodging.
- Participants who have an on-campus housing contract for academic year 2019-2020, but do NOT wish to pay the additional housing fee for the ScienceFIT early move-in are responsible for arranging their own housing during ScienceFIT.
- Participants who are NOT planning to live in the residence halls during the academic year are responsible for arranging their own housing during ScienceFIT.
Parking during ScienceFIT
- If you will be parking on campus for the week of ScienceFIT, you will be required to have a parking pass. If you purchased a parking pass for the Fall semester, it will be valid during ScienceFIT in the West Stadium Parking Garage (4th level only).
- ScienceFIT students who have not purchased a Fall semester parking permit may download this free parking pass, good for parking on the 4th level of the West Stadium Parking Garage from August 17-22.
- The free parking pass can be used for the NevadaFIT Kick-Off event on August 17.
- Please make sure parking permits are hanging from the rearview mirror or placed on the dashboard of your car and are clearly visible at all times to avoid parking citations. Please adhere to all Parking Rules and Regulations during ScienceFIT.
- The Campus Escort Service program will be available during ScienceFIT.