Studying in the U.S.

J-2 and H-4 have an option to take degree or non-degree classes on a full-time or part-time basis without having to change to student status (F-1 or J-1). However, if you would like to change to student status, please discuss this issue with an OISS advisor.

F-2 spouses may study part-time (less than 12 credits for undergraduate classes and less than 9 credits for graduate classes). Spouses may also take occasional classes for recreation or self-development. F-2 children must attend kindergarten through 12th grade on a full-time basis. If the goal is to study full-time, F-2 dependents are strongly advised to apply for a change of status to F-1 or J-1 and wait for the approval of the application prior to starting full-time study! Talk to an OISS advisor.

If you would like to improve your English, please keep in mind that the Intensive English Language Center ( IELC) at UNR offers a variety of English classes. Family members of UNR students and scholars receive a 25% tuition discount. There are also ESL classes offered at a local community college (TMCC). For more information please contact IELC or TMCC directly.