Other Issues

Driver's License - Dependents of international students and scholars are eligible to obtain Nevada Driver's License or State ID. To apply, please go to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) located at 305 Galletti Drive in Reno. Bring your passport, I-94 card, I-20 (F-2) or DS-2019 (J-2) or I-797 notice (H-4). The social security number is not required to obtain a driver's license or state ID.

Northern Nevada International Center - The Language Bank provides translation and interpretation services to the Northern Nevada community. Some services are fee based. Contact info: www.nnic.org; ph: (775) 784-7515; 821 N. Center Street , Reno , NV 89501

Computer Labs - Access to computers at UNR is limited to students, employees or UNR affiliates. Unfortunately, the dependents of students and scholars do not have an independent access to UNR network unless they become students or employees.

Legal Help - Washoe Legal Services provides free legal services in the area of family law, domestic violence, landlord - tenant disputes. It does NOT cover the immigration law. Contact info: address - 650 Tahoe Street , Reno , NV 89509 ; ph: (775) 329-2727; web -Washoe Legal Services; e-mail:info@washoelegalservices.org

Public Charge - the concept of "public charge" means an alien who has become or is likely to become "primarily dependent on the government for subsistence, as demonstrated by either the receipt of public cash assistance for income maintenance, or institutionalization for long-term care at government expense". An alien who is likely at any time to become a public charge is inadmissible and ineligible to become a legal permanent resident of the U.S. An alien is also deportable if he or she became a public charge within five years from the date of entry.

Public benefits which may render an alien a public charge are following:

  1. Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  2. Cash Assistance from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
  3. State or local cash assistance program for income maintenance, often called "General Assistance" programs
  4. Public Assistance, including Medicaid, that is used for supporting aliens who reside in an institution for long-term care such as nursing home or mental health institution. Please note that short-term institutionalization for rehabilitation is not subject to public charge consideration .

Public benefits which are NOT subject to public charge are following:

  1. Medicaid
  2. Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
  3. Food Stamps
  4. The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
  5. Immunizations
  6. Prenatal care
  7. Testing and treatment of communicable diseases
  8. Emergency medical assistance
  9. Emergency disaster relief
  10. Nutrition programs
  11. Housing assistance
  12. Energy assistance
  13. Child care services
  14. Foster care and adoption assistance
  15. Transportation vouchers
  16. Educational assistance and job training programs
  17. Non-cash benefits funded through the TANF program

As a general rule, the receipt of benefits by a member of a family i.e. U.S. born child does not count towards the determination of public charge for the family.

USCIS website offers a number of handouts on this topic in various languages. Please go to uscis.gov and select a link to Public Charge for the full index.